Muddy Coop Run, Chick/Adult Questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Silkies~Polishes, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Hi, i have many questions! Sorry!
    - i have 2 bantam cochins(1 is a rooster!) and 1 buff orpington hen. I also have two chicks that are 3 1/2 months old, 1 is a standard polish, the other a bantam silkie. I recently moved to a house with a small yard, but i used to have a medium chicken coop with a large run(i could have 8 chickens), now i have the eglu and i am pretty sure it is going to be too small! Is this true?
    - The run is always muddy, every week i have to clean out the run and put in new bedding, only a few days later to have it look all mucky again, what is a temporary fix? I am only going to be living at my house for about a year
    - Recently i noticed my polish has lost many of her head feathers, about a inch by inch area, it looks a little red and there is a small spot with dried blood! What do you think is wrong with her? It is not overcrowding since the chicks are currently in a small covered pen. I worry it is maybe because they are too wet? even though they have shelter from the rain, whenever i check on them they are wet and just standing in the rain. Although my silkie is fine and does not appear to be losing any feathers(fluff?)
    -Last question! My adult chickens try to attack the chicks every time they are outside together, although i positioned the chicks near the adults and now they can eat together without any problems, is this all i need to do to get them used to each other? Also, if they eventually are together, how should i go about keeping the adult chicken food away from the chicks? Does it matter if my rooster eats the layer feed?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You need to feed all of them a feed they can all east such as flock raiser or grower. I don't know of an eglu that would be big enough for 8 chickens. Sounds like they are feeling crowded. The polish head feathers are probably being pulled out by the others.

Roosters can eat layer, though it's not their optimum feed; many roosters live their life out eating layer. It's the young ones, before point of lay, eating layer that can cause problems.

On muddy runs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    You could put straw in the run..

4. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

What are the problems? Ours transitioned to layer at two and a half months and really like the crumb.

Quote:

5. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The higher level of calcium in layer feed can damage young organs, particularly kidneys. I've never been able to pin down the cutoff point, though -- do they need to stay off layer til point of lay, or only the first month, or what? Similarly, it is logical that a chronic high intake of calcium might eventually be harmful to a rooster, but I've never seen any documentation of that, either. Like so many things, commercial operations don't care, so we don't find out.

6. CapeReds

I wish that I knew earlier. This was a problem in integration because the elder hens were going for the chick feeders. They were separated till well into the second month.

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:No problem for the older ones to eat chick feed; even if it's medicated with amprolium, it's not supposed to cause any problem with eating the eggs. The only problem is with young chicks eating layer. For a while I fed my whole flock grower feed because flock raiser was not available locally. This included young chicks, pullets, hens and a couple of roosters.

8. CapeReds

I messed that up. Our young ones started eating layer at about 2 months. I hope they will be ok.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    The run is always muddy, every week i have to clean out the run and put in new bedding, only a few days later to have it look all mucky again, what is a temporary fix? I am only going to be living at my house for about a year
    I had the same problem, I put sand in coop and run and that solved the mud and wet bedding problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by