Muddy Enclosed Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by melandtodd, Sep 11, 2011.

1. melandtodd

melandtodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    With all of this rainy weather our outdoor enclosed run is so wet and squishy! How do I keep my "ladies" safe from coccidiosis when the run is so wet? Of course, the indoor coop is nice and dry. I am new to raising chickens----1 polish rooster and 13 black australorpes that are 14 weeks old. Am I worrying for nothing or do you have any suggestions?

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Sand I hear is a good solution. About 6 inches thick should help the drainage. There is a thread where someone was putting in some drainage but I don't know exactly how.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When I have a mud problem even a couple of inches of sand has helped a great deal. They will turn it over and you might want to add more than that.

With my large chicken yard, I cannot cover the whole thing. So I just take 4 bags of play sand and sprinkle it over my walkways and around the waterers.

4. melandtodd

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    Thank you so much for the quick replies! I do have bags of sand for their "sand spa tray"...I will pour that out in the morning.

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Might be a good idea to get rid of the hay or straw out there before you do the sand if it's going in the same spots. I only leave hay out there when the run is dry. It will tend to keep the run from drying out and wet usually leads to stinky. That's my experience so far anyway [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I agree with everyone about the sand. I use sand and I love it. And as stated, get rid of all of the other bedding and remove the mud sludge before you put in your sand. You will see a big difference. Good luck.

7. melandtodd

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    Our run is only a few weeks old and used to be grass. I have nothing as bedding because there was such great grass.....WAS! I know that happens, but it turned to mud before it needed hay to replace the grass. So......use the sand (after I get rid of excess muck) for the next few days till dry and then lay down some straw? Do I leave it there and clean it out like I do the indoor coop? I am so sorry for sounding ignorant..I thought I read everything and studied for this! Thank you for all your help and experiences.[​IMG]

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    So......use the sand (after I get rid of excess muck) for the next few days till dry and then lay down some straw?

Straw will only hold moisture, and add to the odors

Just use plain sand, the more the better​

9. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I would make sure it's completely dry in there before I put any straw back in. Straw will act like a mulch on top of wet ground and prevent it from drying out. My run used to be grass as well, but is now just dirt. It drains pretty well so I'll leave it as it is. I feed alfalfa everyday and since they only eat the leaves, the stems accumulate and I rake those out 2-3 times a week, along with any poo [​IMG] . Is there a specific reason you are using straw in the run? I'm just curious about that...

10. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I'm in tampa FLA....the Sunny state...yeah right..Rains tons....sand has done the trick for me! Laid a think layer of gravel under 4"or5" of sand....no mud at all....LOVE IT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by