Muddy feathered feet

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
It has been raining since Friday. Friday was just a couple showers here and there so no mud. Sat was raining off and on and was really cold so left my chicks in their coop. Today was warmer so let them out but there were a few times of heavier rain. Part of the run has a roof but it hasn't been shingled yet so has spots that leak so there is some mud. My chicks are 7 weeks so still don't go in the run on their own so I went in to help them and my cochins and Brahmas had muddy feet. Should I clean them tomorrow or will they do it?

A spa day wouldn’t hurt them
Thanks. Dumb question how do I do it? it is going to be cloudy for most of the day tomorrow and low 60's until the later afternoon when it says sunnier and may hit higher 60's. Should I do it before I put them in at night? bring them in and do it? just dip their feet in a warm tub of water?

I haven't had chickens since I was a kid over 35 yrs ago so I have no clue anymore. LOL

A small plastic tote/tub will work. I use a soft toothbrush and dawn soap, it doesn’t take a lot. And rinse in a second plastic tote/tub.
I don't want to do any damage to their feet but where it may still be a bit muddy since it won't get sunny till later in the afternoon should I do it tomorrow and put them back in the run? or wait and do it close to dusk and just put them in the coop? do I just towel off their feet? Should I wait till Tue when it is sunny and everything should be dry to do it?

sorry for all the questions.

I'd look into fixing the mud issue rather than bathing feet. Is the run going to eventually be fully roofed? What's on the ground right now?
Under the 8x8 coop is open for them to go under it. Then there is an 8x8 covered run that right now just has dirt bit once it is shingled it should stay dry. Then there is a 10x8 HWC covered part. That has grass clippings and leaves in it over dirt and a bit of grass. Normally my yard doesn't get muddy but rain for 2.5 days straight gave us a few muddy sections. Even my flower boxes that have a bunch of mulch has some puddles in them now which is not normal. Right now it doesn't help that there is a section on the covered run where the plywood meets up that has a gap so it runs down there. Was hoping it would be done but we had to put my 13 yr old dog down 2 weekends ago so I wasn't comfortable with my husband on a roof not fully concentrating. Then we were away last weekend and non stop rain this weekend. He works Mon-fri and leaves at 7 am and gets home between 7pm- 830pm.

Here is my run, and coop.

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_163344378.jpg
    IMG_20210524_163344378.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 11
Sorry about the dog. :( If you can get more litter materials, that'll help with controlling the mud. It's fine if feathered feet get wet or a little muddy, but you don't want them becoming mud balls, so anything that'll keep them out of the dirt (which is then mud if it rains) will help.

Back
Top Bottom