Muddy feet!

callieriggs

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2015
So we have a small 3 chicken set up in our yard. The girls have enough room and are generally happy. We let them out of their coop/run whenever we can. However, when it rains we don't let them out and the bottom of there enclosed run is a wet, muddy stinky mess! I have seen that some people use sand in there coop but I just want to check, do you think if I put sand in the run would it be drier? The run is covered but small. We have play sand and some construction sand laying around and I am thinking that if I put it in their run that it might help but I am not sure if it would cause any problems. Thanks!

First
welcome-byc.gif

The sand will make your run NOT DRY, but drained. Drained means faster to dry. Use the course construction grade sand for best results. If you read threads about using sand,, you will see that peeps are divided on its use... I am in favor of using sand. Some of those opposed do make some outrageous claims including the possible dangers of contaminants. You decide for yourself if it is good for you. I have used some sand in my operation for over 18 years and no bad results yet.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

How did you set up your coop? Mine: i bought the concrete blocks from HomeDepot (or plain bricks will work) and kind of put sparingly in a retangular shape. This becomes the base. Sparingly so then when it rains, it will serve as a drainage. Then, i bought square wooden panel for coop flooring, L x W following the coop's dimension. Put on top of the concrete blocks. I cover the wood floor with vinyl tiles (so cheap). You can then put the coop on top of the flooring or (mine) i raised it up again by framing entirely with bricks, kind of make a wall base. Then i put my coop on top of the bricks. I put sand & DE & 1/3 of dirt mix for the coop, as high as the brick height. I don't freerange my chickens, so they take dust bath inside the run. I use play sand with low dust.
This way, when it rains, the rain falls around the coop, down to the earth, but it won't flood your coop. Your coop stays dry 100%. All the water will drain UNDER the concrete blocks that you put sparingly under the wood floor.

Thanks for the replies. We don't have a problem with the inside of the actual coop house. The problem is their little enclosed run. Think we may try to put down sand when the ground dries out again. It is pretty sticky but at least it hasn't been raining today.

Quote: THERE ARE 1001 PEOPLE HERE THAT WOULD DISAGREE WITH THIS. including me.. We are talking about creating a DEEP LITTER system.. Sure, the chips will get wet, when it rains. but there will be good drainage and it will not rain FOREVER,. When it dries, the chips dry as well. Only complaint I read about chips ,,,, is that chickens can hurt their feet on them, I have had my chickens running on top of wood chips in my back yard for many years.. . NEVER HAD ANY INJURIES. THEORETICALLY ANY THING IS POSSIBLE. As to the mold issue, Mold is everywhere. Not all mold is immediately dangerous.

THERE ARE 1001 PEOPLE HERE THAT WOULD DISAGREE WITH THIS. including me.. We are talking about creating a DEEP LITTER system.. Sure, the chips will get wet, when it rains. but there will be good drainage and it will not rain FOREVER,. When it dries, the chips dry as well. Only complaint I read about chips ,,,, is that chickens can hurt their feet on them, I have had my chickens running on top of wood chips in my back yard for many years.. . NEVER HAD ANY INJURIES. THEORETICALLY ANY THING IS POSSIBLE. As to the mold issue, Mold is everywhere. Not all mold is immediately dangerous
I worked for a tree company for many years and had access to unlimited amounts of wood chips and tried taking advantage of it. During this time I had major respiratory issues with my birds and mold throughout my wood chips. From then on I have never used them again and have never had issues like that arise again.

I worked for a tree company for many years and had access to unlimited amounts of wood chips and tried taking advantage of it. During this time I had major respiratory issues with my birds and mold throughout my wood chips. From then on I have never used them again and have never had issues like that arise again.

Interesting exception to the rule.

Could you elaborate on the type of wood that gave the birds respiratory issues?

That would be very helpful.

THERE ARE 1001 PEOPLE HERE THAT WOULD DISAGREE WITH THIS. including me.. We are talking about creating a DEEP LITTER system.. Sure, the chips will get wet, when it rains. but there will be good drainage and it will not rain FOREVER,. When it dries, the chips dry as well. Only complaint I read about chips ,,,, is that chickens can hurt their feet on them, I have had my chickens running on top of wood chips in my back yard for many years.. . NEVER HAD ANY INJURIES. THEORETICALLY ANY THING IS POSSIBLE. As to the mold issue, Mold is everywhere. Not all mold is immediately dangerous.

Ditto that.

Been using wood chips for only about 20 years, and would recommend it to anyone who will listen.

I think a huge factor to be considered about wood chips is your climate. In a climate that sees a low relative humidity between rainfall, the chips can dry out and mold will not be able to set in. In a more warm, humid climate - such as what we see around here (NE Kansas), mold is a certainty. We keep wood mulch in our flower beds out front, and it's only 2-3" deep. Guaranteed every year when I rake it up to replace it, down about 1.5" we'll have white mold. I can't imagine the moldy mess I'd have if I kept 8-10" of wood chips anywhere around here.

Personally, I'd never use deep litter wood chips in the run for that very reason - especially not a covered run that gets minimal sunlight to contribute to drying. But, if it works for somebody else, I won't argue with them.

In my climate, I'd use coarse construction sand. It won't dry all the way through, but it also won't mold.

Back
Top Bottom