1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Bryceeast

Bryceeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    It recently snowed over her in nm whick it hardly ever snows and rains on the runs floor it is now covered in mud is it bad for the chickens to be in mud? P.S. There are places in the run that are still dry.

2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    They will be fine. It's just messy.

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    It really isn't that bad for them. It will get all over iside the coop and everywhere else and make a mess. What I do is cover the mud areas with straw to keep them up out of the mud. When things dry out I just rake it up and put it in the compost pile. Also go checkout pat and chickens web page it has good ideas for muddy runs.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Any time chickens have to stand in wet conditions there is an increased risk for foot infections (bumblefoot) because bacteria thrive where there's moisture. So keep an eye out for that. Another issue is mud balls forming on toenails. And you may find the wet areas get smelly....

Here's the link to that excellent "fix a muddy run" page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by