Muddy Ground

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wwestfall, Mar 15, 2015.

1. wwestfall

wwestfall New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Some background.....I have some Welsh Harlequin Ducks that I hatched myself. Two of the ducks, 1 male and 1 female (Donald and Quackers) were from 2011 and another 5 ducks, 3 male and 2 female, from 2014. The new males gang up and attack Donald so I must separate the two groups. (would it be okay to let them settle it themselves?)
    Now the reason for my thread.....
    I live in SC and we've had some wet weather for some time now. The area that the ducks reside (two separate coops) is very muddy and never seems to get a chance to dry out completely. There are pools of water that I have been controlling with a submerged sump in the ground, so there are no longer standing pools but the entire area is still soggy and muddy from the ducks.
    Question.....
    Can I use a layer of gravel to help with the mud? Will the gravel be to hard on the ducks feet? I was thinking some smooth, small, gravel... Perhaps "Pea Gravel" or "Paving Gravel".
    Any suggestions or ideas? I am not able to relocate the ducks because of limited space.
    Thanks.....

2. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Hay! Hay works wonders for my ducks! They eat the seeds and it keeps the pen dry for weeks! I live in Monroe NC, so I understand this terrible wet weather!

3. wwestfall

wwestfall New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
  4. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    We use 2 big bales for a 20ft by 12 ft open, but the more the better

5. wwestfall

wwestfall New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks.... I'll try! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by