Muddy Outside run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kacey I15, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Kacey I15

Kacey I15 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    we have an outside run with no roof over it just fencing and every time it rains it gets muddy and of course smelly any suggestions on what to put done to prevent it from getting so muddy?

2. thatotherfarmer

thatotherfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    I have the same thing. Either deal with it because the sun will always dry it out again, put a roof over it, or put hay down. The hay won't really help a whole lot, but it will make it look not as bad.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Can you till gravel and sand into the ground to increase drainage? Does your soil have high clay content?

4. BrokeFarmerJohn

BrokeFarmerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    The coop of the week or month ad on here had a good idea, they dug a 1-1 1/2 foot trench all the way around there run and filled it in with gravel, the water would drain threw the gravel and sit on the bottom of the trench. I have never tried it but should work like a perimeter drain on your house, only further step would be actually placing a perimeter drain under the gravel to take the rain water away from the area.

1 person likes this.
  5. OKusmcChckens

OKusmcChckens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I had the same problem, especially this spring with all the rain. I put about 2-3 inches of sand in when it was reasonably dry and no more mud. Easy to clean. Just shovel sand through a strainer and throw out the poop that is trapped.

6. numzldr

numzldr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    Peoples Republic of Md.
    I had that problem a few yrs ago n took care of it by scattering a bale of straw out about 6"deep.The birds love it the bugs love it the worms come up undetneath n love it so the birds love it even more.

7. Kacey I15

Kacey I15 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015

Thank you for all the great suggestions and unfournetly I can not put gravel in there not the type of ground for it but I will try hay and maybe a trench thank you!

8. thatotherfarmer

thatotherfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014

What was it like when it rained?

9. numzldr

numzldr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    Peoples Republic of Md.
    Wet straw. :)

10. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Didn't it get moldy? Or did you replace it every time it rained?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by