1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muddy/Poopy Coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MommaChickRN, Oct 30, 2009.

1. MommaChickRN

MommaChickRN New Egg

May 5, 2009
    We have had recording breaking rains these last 2 months which has turned my chicken yard into a disgusting mess!! The inside of the coop is fine, but the "run" part is sooo muddy and some days even has some standing water in it. And not to mention poop - they poop in there a lot so you can just imagine how nasty that is. I've been leaving the door open so that they can get out into the big yard and don't have to stand in the muck.

Is there anything I can do? It stinks really bad and I hate knowing that my chickens have to wade through all that nastiness. I keep hoping the rain will end, but it just starts back up again. My mom suggested sand - but I figure I would need A LOT of it and I'm not even sure that would fix the problem.

2. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    I saw a gal's runs that had about 4 to 6 inches of pea gravel in them. They were great and I was envious. It's probably a bit expensive. I can't do it here because I rent.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    check out the 'fix a muddy run' page linked in my .sig below, there are probably some ideas there you could consider, especially for getting/keeping water out of the run in the first place, which will help a good deal [​IMG]

As far as adding stuff to the run, sand or roadbase (a mix of dirt-sand-gravel, usually the cheapest aggregate you can buy) are not that expensive if you buy them buy the truck dump load, although you will be sprouting some new wheelbarrowing muscles unless the run is accessible to heavy trucks.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

When you solve your drainage there are some stall products that help- Stable Boy, Stall Dri and Stall PDZ are a few. Roofing the run helps of course, if you can manage it. Here are a few thoughts to add to what Pat and others are saying.

Our run is sandy loam, so lends itself well to drainage- even so, we rake and slope to the original intentions of the run and keep the drainage trenches cleared, year round.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-Coop_Hygiene

6. lilredhenmom

lilredhenmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    I had the same problem until today....we put in a load of sand in the run! What a huge difference! No more mud![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by