Muddy run - Any advice!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cyberchick, Jul 31, 2010.

1. cyberchick

cyberchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Wirral UK
    I have only had my chickens for a couple of week and am really enjoying it. However, the weather here has been really bad. It seems to have rained everyday for a week and a half. Part of my run is covered but the bit that is open has become very muddy as can been seen from the pictures. I was thinking of trying to mix sand in to help the drainage. Suggestions would be welcome.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Friend@animals

[email protected] New Egg

Jul 31, 2010
    I have the same problem. I added a layer of sand and rock to help drainage and then a layer of straw to keep chickens feet dry. They can get bumble foot from having wet feet. It's been working pretty well for a couple of years now.

3. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    i shoveled out my whole 10x12 coop 1 foot deep and put sand in it.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    See the "fix a muddy run" link in my .sig below for ideas -- what usually works best is a multi-pronged approach, not *just* chucking sand in there.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    sand

sand

sand

sand

sand

6. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
  7. cyberchick

Jul 17, 2010
    Wirral UK
    Quote:Had a look at your page, very impressive. I will certainly do what I can if it dries out!

8. cyberchick

Jul 17, 2010
    Wirral UK
    Quote:Had a look at your page, very impressive. I will certainly do what I can if it dries out!

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Straw is a good temp fix but it will mold quickly and thats bad. How about pine shavings and when you can - regrade and add some drainage to keep it drier. Here where we live it gets really wet and we have sand. Sometimes on a heavy downpour I floods for hours. I have pallets - Not pretty yes I know but I have them around the run for those times where they want to get up out of the wet and I also have my coops raised up from the ground. They still usually go under this big tree instead.
    Caroline

10. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Uh, you might want to add one or maybe two more 'sands' to what he said... Seriously, lay down a mix of course sand and gravel, called crush & run here in the Carolinas. About 1-1/2 inchs will do. C&R is what they use for gravel driveways, etc. here as the base. Then lay down at least 3 inches of course sand on top of that. Then I'd try to divert any water from coming into the run by going around the perimeter of it and cutting/digging a shallow trench only 2 or 3 inches deep and lead it off down hill if possible. I did this in my run because I had the very same problem and now it's dry and healthy for my Gals. Last fall after I got it all done the reminants of Hurricane Ida blew through here and we had 4 days of torrential downpours. I went out to gather eggs during the rain and there were the Gals all enjoying sand baths while the rain was pounding down.

So, add some sand and if you don't think you have enough, add some more...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by