Muddy Run

Rcorrell

Hatching
Apr 7, 2020
Hello everyone! I have an L shaped coop and run area for my chickens. Our whole area is on a slight incline so when it rains drainage isn't an issue but, the run gets super muddy especially with all the rain we've been getting. A large part of my run is covered to give the girls a shady spot all day so it takes forever for the mud to dry up. I'm worried if I put wood chips on the ground to keep the mud under control, the wood chips will get moldy. I've been trying to figure out a way to keep the mud to a minimum that won't be conducive to mold. Does anyone have any ideas or any experience with using wood chips in shaded areas of their runs?

Hello everyone! I have an L shaped coop and run area for my chickens. Our whole area is on a slight incline so when it rains drainage isn't an issue but, the run gets super muddy especially with all the rain we've been getting. A large part of my run is covered to give the girls a shady spot all day so it takes forever for the mud to dry up. I'm worried if I put wood chips on the ground to keep the mud under control, the wood chips will get moldy. I've been trying to figure out a way to keep the mud to a minimum that won't be conducive to mold. Does anyone have any ideas or any experience with using wood chips in shaded areas of their runs?
If that part is covered, how is it getting all wet?

When I had to dry out my run, I used a shovel and turned and mixed all the wet dirt, then I mixed in fresh pine shavings and sand. Worked like a charm.

If that part is covered, how is it getting all wet?
[/https://youtu.be/R7Ms8flNIHU

Back
Top Bottom