Muddy Run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheEggCollecter, Feb 22, 2014.

1. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I have had this problem for a couple years. I have a piece of property that used to be lush and green. It was complete with long grasses and lots of shrubbery, then I got chickens.[​IMG] A few years later that lush area is now a brown, muddy poop pit. This year I am planning on growing grasses in there and make it green again. I have tried taking the hens out of that run for awhile in hopes that it will grow back but it isn't. Any ideas? Because I am out of them. [​IMG]

2. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    First, how is the draining in that area?

You can improve drainage by digging ditches to divert groundwater in the desired direction and filling those ditches with gravel.

Do you use any bedding in the run?

I have 7 chickens in a 4x12 run and I find that I have to put 6" of leaves or pine straw into the run every 4-6 weeks depending on how wet the weather is. They are making very nice compost for me which I'm going to dig out in the next couple weeks for use on my garden.

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Try using one of these ground cover crops. I use oats. I throw them out to my chickens every day and make sure I throw out a lot in the parts of the run that has a bit less cover than in other areas. What ever the chickens don't eat grows and gives them fodder and take root as well. They love it.

Annyal Ryegrass
    - Barley, Oats, and Triticale
    - Buckwheat
    - Cereal Rye
    - Common Vetch
    - Crimson Clover
    - Fava Bean
    - Field Pea
    - Hairy Vetch
    - Rapeseed
    - Red Clover
    - Subterranean Clovers
    - Sudangrass and Sorghum- Sudangrass Hybrids
    - Wheat

4. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Okay definitely going to try that. Where can I buy oat seed?[​IMG]

5. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I get whole oats (Make sure it isn't the rolled oats) at TSC. It is on the same aisle as the chicken feed.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  6. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Okay, thank you for replying. [​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    As long as you continue to have the chickens scratching around in that particular area, nothing will take root and grow. They will dig it up and eat it as soon as it sprouts, if not the seeds themselves.

Sand in the run might solve your problem. It drains nicely, and if you trench around the run to divert water that tends to run into the run, problem all solved.

Or you could have a tractor run. These are fenced runs on wheels so you can change areas often to avoid the chickens denuding it.

8. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Mine does well since they have a huge run for their numbers. I put out more oat seed than they could realistically eat which allows for it to have the chance to sprout. Works for me.

9. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Okay, I went over to TSC and bought some oat seed I will spread it over the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by