Muddy, smelly coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flytpm, May 10, 2009.

1. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    We've had rain for 9 days straight here. Now my 5 Bantams run is muddy and a little smelly. What should I do to help keep the smell down so I don't upset the neighbors?

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I would love the answer to this question too! Same problem here.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I use pulverized garden lime inside my coop under my bedding to keep the smell down and the ammonia neutralized. It should work OK outside. There is also stall freshener available at stores that sell horse supplies, it has lime and other ingredients to keep the bedding less smelly

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    See the link in my .sig below (the "fixing muddy run" link) for help [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I've heard good things of StallDri. I think they are little pellets with DE in them. May be worth researching [​IMG] We usually till up our run before a big riain so everything is mixed and not just straight poo. It doesn't do a lot, but helps a little

6. kajunchicken

kajunchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I've heard that if you use lime make sure it's food grade, if there is such a thing. Or use diatomaceous earth ( food grade).

7. maizie

maizie Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    I had a similar situation where I was living a couple of years ago and I used grass clippings to keep the ground less muddy. My neighbor had no mower so I cut her yard in exchange for the grass and everyone was happy![​IMG]

8. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    We have had torrential rains for the last week and I have an open sided coop with a dirt floor. I just cleaned out part of my wet coop and sprayed with Oxine AH. That should help. In a few weeks, I am going to fill back in with sand to improve the drainage on the surface.

9. annek

annek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    If you can get Sweet PDZ it is recommended for stuff like that. Safe for chickens to eat. Used for horses etc. in stalls and to dry things up.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    sand, gravel and stall dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by