Muff and Beard genetics?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by TheChickenQueen, Dec 20, 2014.

1. TheChickenQueen

TheChickenQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    So say you have a Olive Egger, or Easter Egger, Rooster who doesn't have either (beards,& muffs), but you are completely sure that one of his parents had a beard and possibly muffs. Could the roosters offspring have beards/muffs?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Muffs and beards are incomplete dominate. So generally if you don;t see muffs and beards they are not carrying the gene. Day old chicks sometimes you can visually pick out the chicks with double gene for muffs and beards they will be more profuse but this is only generalization and not 100% guaranteed.
    You may want to test mate the males to a bird without to see if 10 out of 10 chicks have muffs and beards visually at hatch. Then you male is probably doubled genes.

Remember the muff and the beard gene can be separated and you can get birds without the beard but never seen one yet without the muffs.

Your rooster without muffs and beards will not produce an offspring with muffs and beards unless you breed it to a hen that has them. EE's can be almost anything genetically so they do not always breed true like most real Ameraucanas or Araucanas do when bred to their own breed that have set selected genes for many generations.

Have fun with your EE's they are a delight to breed with so many colors popping up in plumage and eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheChickenQueen

TheChickenQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Okay thank you! That answers my question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by