Muff and getting her in the right nest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Muff is broody, but I have had a devil of a time getting her back on the right nest. I am not sure if any of the clutch will hatch on Monday.

When Butter went broody, I decided I would try the curtain thing on the nest boxes. I have a bank of 4 nests. I just put curtains on the two nests that had a clutch of eggs. So far, the broody hens are getting back on the right nest. Don't know for sure if it is the curtains, or if Muff just figured it out.

Just recovering for knee surgery, so not quite stable enough to handle a flapping hen. We are just in a 'see what happens" mode.

Mrs K

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I get annoyed when they nest hop, I'm not sure why they do it. Sometimes it seems like they don't actually want the responsibility of the eggs. I haven't tried curtains, so that's interesting.

I hope your recovery is going well.

3. Mrs. K

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    yesterday was a good recovery day, light at the end of the tunnel... today feel back at ground zero... maybe not quite zero, but not near as good as yesterday. Patience is needed

1 person likes this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Glad you're doing some better. Be patient. After my hip replacement a year and a half ago, I remember feeling so down the first couple of weeks, then all of a sudden I turned a corner and recovery took off from there. Do your PT, follow Dr.'s orders (as best you can, of course - sometimes it's hard to hold back), take good care of yourself.

Will be interested in knowing if you get chicks next Monday or not. I don't know how they can forget where their nest is...

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Those good days are usually followed by a worse one......because we do too much on the good days.
    One step forward two steps back......Hang in there!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mrs. K

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    dang it, Muff is in the wrong nest again, don't have much hope in her eggs hatching.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Aw, nuts! It's been hot out, though, so maybe... [​IMG] (Yeah, yeah, I know, but it's nice in my world!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by