Muffed/Bearded Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stacykins, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I definitely need another set of eyes who know what to look for with chick facial feathering.

OK, so a bit of backstory. These chicks are about a week and a half old. All were bought from breeders who bred araucanas (actual araucanas, not EEs, tufted and rumpless). Anyhoo, I know two tufted chicks (who are thankfully both rumpless too, score!) out of the bunch were definitely hatched. The rest I believed were cleanfaced, however, they are showing more facial fluff than a normal cleanfaced chick, but not enough to be tufted. Are these chicks possibly muffed and/or bearded? This would mean one of the breeders (even though I was shown pics of parent stock) wasn't exactly being truthful or has mixed in EEs or something. None of the breeders are here on BYC, and I won't name names. I just want to know so I can plan to sell these chicks since I don't want to taint the blood of the ones I know are actual araucanas.

First, as a comparison tool, this is a definite TUFTED chick to show the difference. Yes, that is a kitty looking on too [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at the poofiness on the side of the face. Not really tufting, but not normal cleanfaced, either.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about some of the blurriness. They were not wanting to get their pictures taken!

In hindsight, I should have taken pictures of chicks that were cleanfaced. Also, NONE of the six chicks that appear to be muffed or whatever are rumpless. The only rumpless chicks are the two actual tufted chicks, and a few of the cleanfaced ones.

Thanks for your help!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think I remember reading somewhere if you mate two tufted, rumpless americanas not all of the chicks have those characteristics. I also think I read that those genes can be deadly, which is why they are hard to hatch, but don't hold me to it. I'm sure there is an americana thread under the breeds, genetics and showing section. You should go there and post your pics. I'm sure all of those knowledgeable folks would be more help than me. Good luck, cute chicks!

Edit: here's the link to that thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=260313

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Yep, I know. Breeding two tufted makes for 25% dead in shell, 50% tufted, and 25% cleanfaced. Breeding a tufted x cleanfaced makes for 50% tufted and 50% cleanfaced. I know the genetics of it all. I am thinking that these eggs sold to me and where subsequently hatched are NOT araucanas, but instead EEs or some sort. That is why I provided a tufted picture as a comparison of the chicks that are not cleanfaced, but have something going on in the fluff department that isn't tufting.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:You're right on target. The tufted gene is lethal if both parents pass it on to the babies. This is the reason that the European and Australian standards for Araucanas do not include the tufts. In the US though, it's still a desirable trait. Non-tufted birds are therefore just as genetically valuable and essential to your breeding program, but cannot be shown in US shows.

I am not familiar enough with all the growth stages of Araucanas, so I can't speculate if all the chipmunk cheeked babies are tuftless (though I suspect so). You may want to post them to the Araucana thread in the Breeds/Genetics forum. The folks there live and breathe those birds!

5. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I don't have experience with Arucanas but I do have experience with muffs and beards. When my Ameraucanas are babies, they look similar as those lower pictures. They all grow out to be muffed and bearded.
    See here?
    [​IMG]
    That will give you a nicely muffed bird.

6. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Thanks! Muffed and bearded experience is definitely what I need. I don't really have the 'eye' for it since I wasn't expecting chicks with the trait (as I was expecting purebreds).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by