muffled leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmwhite23, Jul 20, 2011.

1. cmwhite23

cmwhite23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Hi I recently bought 6 chicks and the owner told me they were muffled leghorns? I was just wondering if that's a real version of the breed or just something she made up. Im looking to begin hatching from theses and I just want to have their breed right. All the chicks are white with black feathers mixed in. They have yellow feet.

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Please post some pictures.

3. cmwhite23

Jul 19, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG]

I've never heard of a "muffled leghorn". I wonder if it's a Leghorn/Ameraucana cross?

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

They look a little like California Whites. I believe that's a leghorn mix.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I would guess they are Leghorn/Cochin crosses with those feathered legs. I've never heard of a muffled Leghorn. Maybe they said mottled Leghorn???? Leghorns don't have feathered legs so that's the give away on them being mixes.

7. cmwhite23

Jul 19, 2011
    Now that i look at them 4 have yellow feet which have feathers on greym. My smallest one which is def a roo has whiteish gray feet with no feathers. and one has yellow with a bit of black. Some have black feathers mixed and others have grey. They did also come with a black chick who's fluffy and has alot of feathers on its legs. Idk his breed either.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Didn't even noticed the feathered legs! I wonder if they're somebody's project birds? "Mottled" would make more sense than "muffled". LOL

I'd love to see how these grow out, and find out what color eggs they lay. Keep us posted!

9. cmwhite23

Jul 19, 2011
    [​IMG]
    sorry the pics kinda hard to see. But Idk his breed any help?

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Purebred Leghorns have "clean" yellow legs, single combs, white ear lobes (your babies are too young to show earlobe color yet), slender (streamlined?) body type, and a "hard" tail. Cochins have feathered legs, single combs, roundish body type, lots of fluffy feathers, and a softer rounded tail. Looking at your little birds you can see the traits of both (except for the black which appears to be purebred Cochin).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by