muffs/beards showing up out of the blue *pic added*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by georgialee, Jul 16, 2010.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a rooster that's an ee - no muff or beard. I crossed him with some hens (welsummers, marans, etc. - no bears/muffs) and now a good percentage of my chicks have beards & muffs. I'm happy b/c I love the way it looks but I really don't understand how it's happening. any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    post pic of the roo...

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    sounds like some double recessive genes or something. It would be pretty neat. I'd also keep all the pullets out of those crosses. Olive eggers.

4. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    [​IMG]

I'm definitely going to keep the pullets. It seems like it's the year of the rooster though... about 75% of the chicks I'm hatching from my own flock seem to be roos!

5. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Could it be possible that he used to have a muff/beard? I got him when he was already grown and he didn't have a muff/beard then. I can see in the pic that it looks like he has tiny little feathers growing from the skin. Could it be they were all plucked out when he was young by other chooks and never grew back? I'm honestly baffled.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thats what I am thinking too, he has not wattles so he looks like he should be a bearded bird and you can see where the beard could fit in there, so I think he previous owner must have plucked his beard for whatever reason.

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    he seems bearded... small but bearded..

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have a clean faced EE hen that lays olive colored eggs and some of her chicks have had muffs and beards. The roos were a SLW and RIR so I'm sure they got them from her. I bought her from the feed store as a chick and she didn't have a beard or muffs as a youngster either.

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    That's not the roo you got from me is it?

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Looks like his muffs were pecked out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by