1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mulards?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by insanity, Oct 2, 2013.

1. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I got three Muscovy ducklings this spring and was thinking of 2 or 3 daily layers(hens only) to go with them. My question is what breed of mallard would get along and cross best with the Muscovy? From what I've read the hybrids make great meat birds.

Thanks.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Pekins are okay layers and are often used in the cross for better meat birds.

3. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Thanks I was looking at Campbell and Harlequin for a bit of color. I suppose plain white would be easy to find at least.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You might be able to get away with the WHs but I think Campbells might be too small to handle a scovy drake.

5. bebee

bebee New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    Pekins

6. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I was a little worried about size on the campbells. I'll look into the Pekin some more.

7. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Male scovy to female peking, are what are used only, for improved quicker meatier mulards. rest wasted effort and can actually and have heard from friend, actually cause multiple to all deaths of non scovy kept with a single scovy drake (broken neck, pelvis, legs, drowning, ect). Sorry to be so harsh, but otherwise debates rage, so state what has happened bluntly. same guy guy also had the scovy accidentally kill three swans and two geese. his pkings were ok oddly though, so assume true about crossings.

8. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

This year I had to seperate my pekins from the scovy drake because he took way too much interest in the pekin duck.
    Her plumage was in a bad state and for a while she had trouble walking.
    Muscovy drakes are more vicious than mallards when it comes to mating and while female scovies are made for this rough treatment ( although mine appearently prefer to be mounted by my runner drake...) female domestic mallards are not. So if you want to produce moulards I would advise to get a whole flock of females to distribute the strain equally among them.

9. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I was thinking of 1 drake to 2 muscovy hens and 4-6 mallard hens.I figured 8 to 1 was a good ratio.

10. iambebabeba

iambebabeba Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by