Mulberry ideas?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by yotetrapper, Jun 12, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I see they should be in full swing next week. I've made jam before, and i know they can be used in wine, but anyone else do anything else with mulberries?

2. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    you can use mulberries in just about any berry recipe, cobbler, pie, muffins, fudge here is a pie recipe . you can google it and come up with all kinds of recipes.

INGREDIENTS
    3 cups mulberries
    1 1/4 cups white sugar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon milk

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    In a large bowl, mix berries with sugar and flour. Place mixture into bottom pie crust. Dot with butter and then cover with top pie crust. Crimp edges, cut slits in upper crust, and brush with milk. Let pie rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
    Bake pie in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and let sit on wire rack until cool.

3. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Cool, thanks!

Next question... is there an easy way to get all them little stems out? lol.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My Mom has 3 large trees.....I think she has already made 3 or 4 pies with hers. Her chickens LOVE them!!!!! So do the wild birds (and they leave lots of evidence)!!! My kids love going to Granny's to graze off the trees. [​IMG]

We always just eat the stems!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    When I was a little girl there was a mulberry street down the hill. Don't know if it belonged to anyone but I sure did love that thing! Does anyone know if they will grow from cuttings?

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I just love our mulberry trees. I am gathering them now, and freezing them, untill I get enough to make Syrup. I tell ya, Mulberry syrup, over a good ham while bakeing...oh my!! Its good for pancakes as well. LOL

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We have been collecting mulberries, too. My 2 yr old loves to stand under the trees and eat them!

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    How do you make your syrup? Just cook them down with sugar and then strain out the pulp?

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I cook mine down....and strain/press them into a clean liquid. Then add sugar, and a box of pectin.....depends on how much juice I have....dont want it to turn into jelly! LOL

10. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Thanks I'll give that a try! Bet it would be good over ice cream too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by