Mulch as groundcover for a 20'x5' run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IRL, May 28, 2010.

1. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi
    We are building a 12x5 run onto our 4x8 coop with access to the bottom of the coop as part of the run. We have 2 pekin ducks and six buff orps. Would mulch be safe/good/effective to put on the ground?
    Thanks!

2. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    pine shavings are not harmful to fowl. Cedar is as well as some of the other mulches. Wheat straw would also work, especially if it has a lot of seed heads on it. Good luck.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    We buy a bale of Alfalfa hay and throw a flake in every so often during the winter. They eat it and scratch around it and it helps keep the mud down. During the rest of the year we let them free range during the day and have plenty to eat. [​IMG]

4. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I use cypress mulch here in Florida for my run floor. Never had a problem,they throw it all over and it eventually breaks down to dirt. Throwing hay in all over helps with the cleanup but mulch is a good base.

5. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    i just put fresh hay in most of my pens yesterday , i like the oat straw but the coastal and bahia hay works good when that's all i've got . With ducks i would think shavings would work better but i would not keep ducks and chickens together .
    The deep litter is great for the birds -i toss their grain/feed into the straw each day and they go to work , healthy and happy birds that stay in great shape . Remember they need plenty of shade and fresh/cool water .

Last edited: May 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by