1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mulch

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ctwx, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ctwx

ctwx New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    How do I mulch chicken manure that is in pine shavings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

You can put all of that poopy shavings in a compost pile, or you can use it on the paths BETWEEN plants (but not touching the plants).

:welcome

3. ctwx

ctwx New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Seems like there is a lot more shavings than manure should I be changing if less frequently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Sure, but completely up to you.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How many birds in how big a coop and how deep are the shavings, and how often are you changing them? I tend to stir the poo into the shavings now and then, If a few days pass and I haven't gotten to it, the poo will pile up under the roost. I grab a shovel and a small rake type of tool, and scrape those little piles into the shovel to dump into the compost. That extra bit of maintenance keeps the coop odor free for at least 2 months, and if I wanted to I could continue to just add extra bedding now and then, working towards a DL method, in which case, removing any poo would be counterproductive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by