mule foals

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Haviris, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Thought I'd share some pics of my mule foals, I've been going abit picture crazy lately, I've got pics of them when they were first born, but then we moved them way out in the back and I wasn't able to get many. So now they are back up to the house, and I have grown so much! but I have a feeling they are about to hit the ugly stage and no telling how long it will be before I will want to get more pics.

I've taken several pics over the last week or so, but it's hard to get pics because as soon as they see me they come over for me to pet them, and pics of noses and chest just aren't exactly what I'm hoping to catch. That should explain why most were taken while they were eating.

So here they are! This first one is the boy, Joker. He is around 5 months (6 months on the 22nd).
    [​IMG]
    And here's the little Molly, her pretty red spots are roaning [​IMG] I've been calling her Canya, but I"m not sure if that is what is going to stick, She will be 5 months in a few days. This one was taken the day I got them up, and it was raining and we had to go through alot of burrs, so they are all in her mane (and along her belly), I have groomed them since, and they are burr free!
    [​IMG]
    Here's one of them together, I got several of these, but in most they're coming towards me.
    [​IMG]
    And here's a few of them hanging out with Mr. Mom, my horse Magic is their baby sitter, he's so motherly!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They really are cuter in person, and they just really look so good right now, even with their winter fuzzies.

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    How cute!!!!

3. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    Awwww I love them, they are just sooo cute!! [​IMG]

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    They are really cute! I have never had a mule and someday hope to maybe take in a rescue when I can afford an extra mouth to feed and vet.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I had bought a Tennessee Walker, and a month before the baby was born, someone said she looks pregnant. A baby mule! Buttercup. Such a different personality than a horse. Love her. Karen

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always wanted a mule!
    I do jumping, and one day I was at a big hunter/jumper show, and in one of the farthest away arenas a horse caught my eye. It was far away, but something was just DIFFERENT about it. So I walked up, and it was a mule! Apparently when you do a thoroughbred cross mule, they are very althetic when it comes to jumping, and get this: the mule was doing a 4' jumper class against a bunch of $100,000+ horses, and BEAT THEM! I thought it was great.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm not sure if Buttercup gaits like her mom, but right now she trots like a Hannovarian dressage horse. Go figure.

8. Haviris

Sep 4, 2007
    I've always heard mules are great jumpers! And I've heard that there is a mule jump competition in my state, I will have to find out more so I can go check it out. These two are quarter horse mules. Until now I've only had a small shetland sized mule, so I am somewhat new to mule ownership. These guys were actually suprises! I guess that is what I get for thinking I can keep a jack and keep him away from the girls.

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I live north of Tampa in Spring Hill near Brooksville. I'm looking for someone to help me break my mule to pull a buggy. Anyone know anyone in this area. I know its a longshot, but its worth a try. Karen

10. Haviris

Sep 4, 2007
    I don't know of anyone, but you're right can't hurt to ask! I would really like to train my horse to pull a cart. I even bought a cart and have had him hooked up and let him pull it empty, I've just been hessitant to do to much (afraid I'll find some one to train him (or show me how) and they'll have to undo all the damage I've done).

I'd also love to train these foals to pull as a team, other then color they are so close a match! And it surely doesn't hurt that they are half bro/sis, and uncle/neice (the mom's of these foals are mother/daughter). I guess I will see how they look in a few years (if they are still here).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by