1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mule Praises

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FlipFlopFarmer, Oct 29, 2010.

1. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

About 6 months ago, I purchased a little 7 month old molly mule, my first mule. I have had donkeys in the past and they stayed with the horses and cattle, and in the 3 years I had them, I only saw them go after a dog, and only a dog, when they had foals by their side. I wasnt sure if the little mule ( gerty lou) would be okay with dogs or not. About 2 months ago, I had been seeing a large black cat lurking around my chicken tractors/coops, I got a shot off at him, but I think he was too far from me. Last night, I see from about 2 acres away, a lil brown mule ears pinned, running like greased lightning and stomping with her front feet at a dead run!!!!!!...... I watch as she comes my way and when the grass gets short, I see a large black cat running for all he's worth towards the fence. I have noticed that gerty always keeps and eye on the 2 mares she is with, and corals them together when anything is out of the ordinary. She is sweet, and comical with people, but if any type of dog, or cat gets in the field, she is all buisness. She doesnt bother the calves though. I had considered getting a LGD, but I think my lil mule is doing a superb job!

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Wonderful story!! [​IMG]

3. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

Cute story and I love the name! I wish I had room for a mule!

4. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Go Gerty Lou!

I love mules!

5. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Mules are so freakin' smart. Do be careful though, some will kill newborn foals. If I had to have one animal for herd protection, transportation and easy care, it would be a mule. Course you do have to be smarter than the mule [​IMG]
    Slinky

6. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I was wondering about that.I have a neighbor who put s mules with his feeder cows to keep the critters at bay. I have OOOLLLDD horses and they are good at keeping the dogs out of the field. But they can't live for ever. The oldest is 38!

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    FlipFlop, do you have a picture of your sweet girl?

8. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas