Mulitple coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by huntermac0615, Nov 3, 2014.

1. huntermac0615

huntermac0615 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2014
    I got one group of hens, and they are now six months old and laying their first eggs. I just recently got four new chicks and I heard that I should get two coops, one for each group. Is this necessary or would they be able to share one coop with out having any problems?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A little more information would be needed to really answer your question.
    What is the size of your existing coop and run? What breeds of birds are you keeping and are they bantam or large fowl? Are your new chicks all pullets?
    Rather than needing "two coops" permanently it may be that what you were being told about was the need to house the two groups separately until the young birds are old/big enough to be able to hold their own when you do introduce the two groups because there will be some friction as the new birds are worked into the pecking order and birds that are too young/small cannot properly defend themselves and can be injured fairly quickly and seriously.

3. huntermac0615

huntermac0615 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2014
    our chickens free range and we have not gotten them an actual coop yet, but we are looking into it. They usually just come up onto the covered patio and sleep up on the tall patio furniture. The three older hens are wyandottes and I believe the four younger ones are austrolorp, easter egger, leghorne, and production red. I do believe that the four chicks are hens, but I'm not sure quite yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by