Mullberries

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cheapcheap_jeepjeep, May 2, 2007.

1. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Can I let my chickens eat the mullberries from the tree when they get here. (not that I want them to get here). Or would my eggs be purple?

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I have heard that chickens are especially fond of mulberries so I have recently planted two trees in their pasture.

3. bmarshall61

bmarshall61 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    They love them and your eggs won't be purple, just healthy.

4. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Great news thanks all. I am also glad my eggs will be (egg color). [​IMG]

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Mine always ate LOTS of mulberries when in season. Gobbled them right up! We had several trees in the backyard, near their run, so that helped.

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't seen a mulberry since my chickens moved in [​IMG] and the eggs are still brown......sure would be perty mulberry color uh....

7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    My chickens never were that interested in mullberries, but the ducks and geese always are. Eggs don't turn purple, but the poo does. And stains whatever it's on, of course.

Don't forget to eat the mullberries yourself! Rather like a watery blackberry. We enjoy them thoroughly here. The ducks are always underfoot if we're gathering mullberries, hoping we drop some, which we invariably do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by