• No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heatherella

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

Will you please share your opinions on what to feed flocks with roosters?

I really like my laying hens on “Purina Layena” Layer feed with free choice oyster shells. My 5 year old ladies are still laying beautiful eggs regularly on this diet.

I’m concerned about properly feeding my new coop/flock with a little rooster. I have never had a rooster before!

I have a large mixed flock. Your Layena feed is fine for your rooster. Some will argue that higher calcium content in layer feed is bad for non laying birds. For the average back yard keeper I don’t believe you will ever notice anything. If you look at the Naturewise Feather fixer which is also in the 3-4% range calcium content it list on the bag use for roosters.
In my experience some hens shell quality will suffer if not on layer feed.
Personally I mix 35-45% layer with a non layer feed such as starter/meat bird/grower.
I have small chicks mixed in so that’s the reason for the mixture.

I feed everyone of all ages Purina Flock Raiser, w oyster shell on the side. I have been doing this for years. Feed is perishable, and I don't have enuf chickens to buy different types for different groups. This has worked for me. This feed is 20% protein, and they really like it and don't waste it.
I don't know the science behind layer feed for roosters, so I'll leave that up to others to discuss.

I have a large mixed flock. Your Layena feed is fine for your rooster. Some will argue that higher calcium content in layer feed is bad for non laying birds. For the average back yard keeper I don’t believe you will ever notice anything. If you look at the Naturewise Feather fixer which is also in the 3-4% range calcium content it list on the bag use for roosters.
In my experience some hens shell quality will suffer if not on layer feed.
Personally I mix 35-45% layer with a non layer feed such as starter/meat bird/grower.
I have small chicks mixed in so that’s the reason for the mixture.
That is good to know, Rooster. I had fed the Purina Layena w/Omega 3 with outstanding results. But once I started keeping male birds, I went back and forth on which to feed. However I did decide to switch to the Flock Raiser, simply because of the chicks. But I agree with you about some hens needing that extra calcium from the layer feed. I like the higher protein as well.

And as far as my goofy rooster not needing calcium, well I’ll worry about that after he stops partaking of the crushed oyster shell that’s provided free choice.

That is good to know, Rooster. I had fed the Purina Layena w/Omega 3 with outstanding results. But once I started keeping male birds, I went back and forth on which to feed. However I did decide to switch to the Flock Raiser, simply because of the chicks. But I agree with you about some hens needing that extra calcium from the layer feed. I like the higher protein as well.

And as far as my goofy rooster not needing calcium, well I’ll worry about that after he stops partaking of the crushed oyster shell that’s provided free choice.
I tried flock raiser and all flock but was not happy with shells. Even with oyster shell on the side it wasn’t enough.

Thanks everyone! I have also found thin shells on other types of feed.

My hens do fantastic on Purina Layena, so I am going to do the same with this new flock when they’re old enough.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom