multing

jenyfromthecoop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
Woodbury, C.t.
Hi friends!
I wanted to ask for some advise about one of my RR's. She lost most of her neck and wing feathers about 2 months ago
and I had to separate her from the rest of the flock because they were picking on her so badly. I noticed that her comb and waddle
got grayish and shriveled up a bit.

Is this just a bad mult for her or could if be something else? She has been eating and drinking fine but concerned about the cold weather ahead. How long does it take for a chicken to regrow their feathers back after a mult? I have a heat lamp on in the coop at
night for when the temperature drops. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

What kind of feed do you give? What is the protein content? Are you feeding a lot of treats or scratch?
A word of warning about the heat lamp, it can be a fire hazard, and if you lose power on a particularly cold (single digits or lower) night, you may lose a few birds to the cold because they haven't had a chance to acclimate.

Hi again,

Thanks for responding to my multing issue. I am feeding my hens layer pellets. Along with that I am feeding them 8 ounces
of scratch and 5 ounces of meal worms and a handful of greens everyday for six chickens. I also provide a container of grit
for them when they want it.

Thank you for your advise on the heat lamp...... well noted! Our coop is well insulated so there is no doubt that they are well
protected from the eliments of the cold.Thanks again.

Is it possible I could be feeding too much protein? What about giving them probiotics?

While a bird is molting, there is no such thing as too much protein. Feathers are about 90% protein, so they need to eat quite of bit or it to grow in those feathers.
Meal worms will help increase the protein intake. Switching to a grow feed during the molting season will also help. Layer feed is on the low side for protein content. Feeding scratch and greens will lower the overall protein intake even more.

Hi again,

Thanks for responding to my multing issue. I am feeding my hens layer pellets. Along with that I am feeding them 8 ounces
of scratch and 5 ounces of meal worms and a handful of greens everyday for six chickens. I also provide a container of grit
for them when they want it.

Thank you for your advise on the heat lamp...... well noted! Our coop is well insulated so there is no doubt that they are well
protected from the eliments of the cold.Thanks again.

Is it possible I could be feeding too much protein? What about giving them probiotics?
Are the meal worms dried or fresh/alive?
Would need to know the amount of layer pellets they are eating and do the math on the protein levels with that recipe.

Back
Top Bottom