Multiple ages together-what to feed?

sagehound

Songster
Sep 21, 2017
Powell Butte, Oregon
Hi,

I have 1 year old layer hens and 8 week old chicks. I also have a broody hen sitting on eggs that will be hatching in 3 more weeks.

My layers and chicks are together in the same coop and run. They have all been eating chick starter and I have been providing a large container for oyster shells for the layers. Everyone is doing great and healthy, getting along, great eggs, etc. My broody hen will be hatching new chicks in about 3 weeks. I have been keeping the chicks and mom in a separate pen in the run until the chicks are about 4 weeks old. Then I let them out in the run and keep the brooder open so they have a safe place if they need it. It worked great for the first set of chicks and I have not had any problems.

Question:
Right now everyone is on chick starter. I would normally start the 8 weeks old chicks on grower now and also give it to my layers. When the chicks hatch and get out with the rest of the flock they will need starter food. Can I just keep everyone on starter until the newest chicks are ready to eat layer feed? Do I transition to a starter/grower and keep everyone on that until they are all laying?

I only have one huge run and huge coop.

Thank you for your help!

Just keep everyone on starter, or any sort of all flock feed (can be called all flock, flock raiser, hatch to hen, etc).
So I don't need to worry about too much protein for the teenagers? The starter I have everyone on is 18% protein. I would love it if I could keep them all on the same food for now until they are all laying.

I always feed an 18% all flock or a 18% non medicated starter grower to all birds depending on whether I have young birds or not in the flock. I also feed a bit of scratch daily which balances out the protein.

Be sure to have a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs of any laying hens.

I just bought a 40# bag of organic chick starter crumbles. Do I have to buy an all flock feed? I’m not sure what that is.
The starter is fine. I mentioned the all flock or flock raiser as an alternative. Either is fine as long as it isn't medicated.

I just bought a 40# bag of organic chick starter crumbles. Do I have to buy an all flock feed? I’m not sure what that is.

That's fine. The 18% protein is good too. The older birds will enjoy it (with oyster shell on the side for the layers) and it'll seriously make it easier on you to have the whole flock on this feed. Once the youngest ones get to laying age, you can switch to layer if you prefer.

That's fine. The 18% protein is good too. The older birds will enjoy it (with oyster shell on the side for the layers) and it'll seriously make it easier on you to have the whole flock on this feed. Once the youngest ones get to laying age, you can switch to layer if you prefer.
Whew!! Thank you! I will keep everyone on the same feed until they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom