Multiple breeds hatching best way to identify chick as they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cutecowgirl084, Sep 23, 2016.

1. cutecowgirl084

cutecowgirl084 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Inland empire
    So I have several different colors and a few different breeds. My eggs are all marked so I know what they are. But after they hatch they start moving about the incubator with the others. Is there a way to mark them or separate them within the incubator so they dont mix up? I know mini leg bands but to be efficient with that I would have to open the bator and put a leg band on chicks as they are hatching. From what I have read that isn't good bc the bator should not continually be opened at hatching. Is there any tips/tricks with this or I'm just out of luck until they start feathering in? Thanks

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Some people divide their incubators with pieces of hardware cloth come lockdown. Some use plastic baskets from the dollar store or the sort that strawberries come in. Point is, you need a way to keep the chicks separated within the incubator.

3. cutecowgirl084

cutecowgirl084 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Inland empire
    Brilliant!! Off to the dollar store to see what I can find [​IMG]. Thank you junebuggena!!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by