Multiple chickens can't walk within days

Kadjain

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Tehama, Nor Cal (way nor)
Hello BYCer's,

I am getting worried something is running through my flock. A couple days ago I notices a chicken who couldn't use it's left wing. It was getting picked on so I asked a friend to foster her. I thought she must've got stepped on by a goat. This morning I noticed a two month old chick can't walk. My friend who was fostering the first chicken called me this morning saying her conditioned worsened and she can't walk now. Another 2 month old has been limping on a foot for a while now and I thought it must've got stepped on by a goat also but it also seems to be getting worse and not better.
I have been checking out my flock and there is nothing visibly wrong with any others right now but I'm worried there is something they are passing around.

Any knowledge or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Could it be Marek's? One sided paralysis sounds like it and your chicks are about the right age
hide.gif

Well, if you are seeing your birds one by one no able to walk, sounds like Marek's. Most likely if they can't walk but still look alert. Where did you get the 8 week old chicks? Or any new chickens around that time?

The chicks are from eggs layed and hatched out by one of my hens and I have not added any new chickens lately.

What can I do to stop Marek's disease??? Would my vet have something for them???

Last edited:
If it's Marek's , there's nothing you can do.

But, if You've had no new chickens, how long have you had your hens? Marek's would have to come from a chicken or chick that's been exposed to other chickens outside your flock. Have you hatched your own eggs before?

I haven't heard of ducks getting Marek's. It's not likely that the little birds brought it in. Don't buy or hatch anymore chickens right now.

I have a hen that has been sitting on 13 eggs for 2 weeks. She is in a separate area though. I put her in my greenhouse to keep the other hens from laying in the same box or cracking the eggs.

Will Marek's kiil my whole flock or just maliciously pick off my cutest and favoritest chickens?

The chick I found this morning that couldn't walk, I just found dead in the little hen house I put him in.

How do they pass Marek's to eachother?

If they were my eggs, I would take them out, disinfect them (I don't know how), scrub my hands good, and put them in an incubator. Then order vaccine and vaccinate them on day 1. Then keep them quarantined from the rest for 4-10 weeks. I do 10 weeks.

There are eggs washes out there. At least you'll be saving the new ones. The older chickens you have , you may get a loss here and there

With my hatch this past summer, I put 5 eggs under a broody, and 5 in the bator, when they all hatched, I snuck the bator chicks in with the broody chicks, and they all died. I cried every day.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have an incubator but I have a brooder. I was just checking and they are due to hatch on the 15th.

Sorry to ask and make you remember again but what caused the death of your chicks?

Back
Top Bottom