Multiple chickens have Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Violetsfeathers, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    A year ago my white Cochin bantam hen Marshmallow had Bumblefoot on the middle of both of her feet. I cured it. Now, her scars have opened up and there are scabs but I don't think it's Bumblefoot.
    Recently 3 other chickens got it. They are the oldest ones I have, they are 5, 5, and 3 years old. I think they are cutting themselves in the woods but mom thinks it's the roost and dad thinks we should disinfect the whole coop. What should I do?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post photos of their feet?

If the roosts are rough and/or caked with poop, then take them out, clean them up and sand them (wear a good mask when you do this).
    Giving the coop a good thorough cleaning is never a bad idea. Making sure the bedding is clean and dry.

Let us know how they are doing.

3. Violetsfeathers

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    Thanks :) I am gone the whole day today so maybe I can take/post pics tomorrow. I am going to make new roosts for them. As soon as the mosquitos let up I'll get a clean branch from the woods.

4. Violetsfeathers

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    These are pics of Marshmallows feet. I don't think she has Bumblefoot, I think they're just scabs.

[​IMG]
    Right

[​IMG]
    Left

[​IMG]
    I cut out little duct tape circles and stick them to the bottoms of her feet to keep them clean. Her left foot scab is just about gone.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  5. Violetsfeathers

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    This is Pumpkins bumblefoot

[​IMG]
    This is how I wrapped it

[​IMG]
    This is Gingers Bumblefoot, she has it on her "thumb" too.

And I forgot to take a pic of speckles

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep watch on their feet for any sign of swelling or limping. Make sure you are keeping the bedding clean and dry.

You may want to soak their feet in an epsom salt bath a few times a week and see if there is any improvement or if they don't get worse.
    Apply some vetericyn to the feet as well.

Ginger's looks the worst right now, so soak her foot and apply some vetericyn, then wrap it.

I have provided some info for you to read.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/understanding-bumblefoot-care

7. Violetsfeathers

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    I try to soak her foot and put a new bandage on every day.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Cuts at center of foot not likely cause of most of your bumblefoot issues. Something else setting it off. I am starting to suspect you have a parasitic worm accessing foot which then promotes a secondary infection.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @centrarchid can you give us some more information about parasitic worm accessing the foot?
    What is usual course of treatment?

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

My experience with bumblefoot limited to secondary infections of injuries related to fighting through pens. To correct I open it up to drain then keep effected birds on grass in a pen. Recuperating birds are moved frequently to keep them from walking on their feces.

The parasite as being a cause is an educated guess (trained zoologist here) from someone keeping chickens for a long time. My birds walk about on some very tough ground and fly down from high roost which are both often implicated as causes of bumblefoot. I seldom see the infections except as indicated with fighting. Parties I have seen with bumblefoot as a chronic problem keep the birds on ground getting heavy chicken traffic or in very wet locations.

Someone well versed in histology needs to look into this more closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by