Multiple chickens with prolapsed vents

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ehunter, Jul 7, 2016.

1. ehunter

ehunter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    I don't know what's going on, but I've had three out of ten hens with prolapsed vent in the last few days. I've dealt with this before but with one hen. They have tons of space in coop and enclosed run, feed in the coop, and water in the coop and run. Oyster shell provided and sand bedding in coop and run. Any ideas why this is happening to so many at once? Thanks for any help.

2. ehunter

Apr 3, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    I think I may have figured out my problem. I haven't had a feeder in the run (only in the coop), and they're outside nearly all day. I went and bought a feeder this morning specifically for the run, and they have been eating like crazy out there. So, I think they're deficient in nutrients/diet from the lack of food outside, therefore causing the prolapse. If it continues I'll update. I've got two girls in sick bay to monitor - fingers crossed they'll be okay - and hopefully the rest will be okay.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might also have to do with the breeds of chickens, if any have become egg bound from dehydration, too much light for too many hours in the coop. or starting to lay too early. Make sure that you have both multiple water and feed stations, both inside and out the coop and run. The meeker chickens may not get a chance to get anything without going to a less popular spot to eat and drink. Egg binding, lack of calcium and vitamin D, and dehydration can lead to prolapsed vents. Make sure that don't have eggs stuck by just feeling inside the vent an inch or two with a finger. Put some honey or hemorrhoid cream on the prolapsed vents, and try to push them back inside.

4. ehunter

Apr 3, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's been the lack of feed in the run. When I closed them up for the night the feeder was almost empty. Hopefully that will help. We're treating the vents with Epsom salt baths, cleaning, pushing in and using preparation H.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by