Multiple cockerels, when to pick one and rehome the rest?

Michelley1001

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Devine, Texas
Hi all! My broody hen hatched out 7 chicks about 6.5 weeks ago and they are growing like weeds! Unfortunately 4, maybe 5, of the 7 are leaning towards cockerels. We want to keep one since we don’t currently have a rooster but I want to chose wisely. At what age will re-homing the extras be absolutely necessary? I am quite sure I can’t keep 4 or 5 cockerels together for very long, especially since we only have 11 laying hens (not including any possible pullets from this hatch). I have heard one of the chicks attempting to crow the last 2 mornings but haven’t been able to observe which one it was. I’m hoping I can safely keep them until about 12 weeks or so to get the best idea of which one we should keep but not sure that’s feasible, especially considering I’ve seen a couple of them in some intense but brief face offs already. Anyone with advice on this type of scenario would be greatly appreciated!

Side note - I could have sworn I witnessed this morning one of the chicks mount the broody hen mama and attempt to “mate” her. Isn't 6-7 weeks old too early for that behavior?

It's good to have a plan, and take the time to figure out who's a possible 'keeper', and who's not.
Breeding goals matter; are they all siblings, or different breeds, and what do you want in their offspring?
Any with obvious deformities?
Any starting to act human aggressive?
Size differences; here I'm for larger size, but you might have another idea.
Then, watch them grow, and keep none if that's how they look, or keep two or three as long as possible, through puberty at least. 'Sweet' cockerels can become little monsters, and that's not a keeper.
Then, go with the one or two that you like the most!
Mary

At 6 weeks these chicks are mock fighting, or practice sparing. By the way chicks of both sexes will do this.
The real fighting may not start until 6 months or so. And spurs wont start to appear until they are over a year old
Which one to keep?
Well the final personality of the one you choose will not be fully known for a year or two, and even then they can change.
I would choose one I like the best. Maybe you have a preference of color? Maybe there are choices of rose comb or straight comb?
What options avaliabe for rehoming are you considering? Sometimes it's easier to rehome them when they are young.

It's good to have a plan, and take the time to figure out who's a possible 'keeper', and who's not.
Breeding goals matter; are they all siblings, or different breeds, and what do you want in their offspring?
Any with obvious deformities?
Any starting to act human aggressive?
Size differences; here I'm for larger size, but you might have another idea.
Then, watch them grow, and keep none if that's how they look, or keep two or three as long as possible, through puberty at least. 'Sweet' cockerels can become little monsters, and that's not a keeper.
Then, go with the one or two that you like the most!
Mary
Thank you for your reply Mary! I’m not sure I have specific breeding goals as of now, though I would like to have a self-sustaining flock since I have had one go broody I’m hoping that will be a yearly thing with her or that another might go broody also. This is my first time hatching/raising chicks within an established flock so I just would love to keep a “good” rooster to help protect them and like I said, keep the flock going through the years.

At 6 weeks these chicks are mock fighting, or practice sparing. By the way chicks of both sexes will do this.
The real fighting may not start until 6 months or so. And spurs wont start to appear until they are over a year old
Which one to keep?
Well the final personality of the one you choose will not be fully known for a year or two, and even then they can change.
I would choose one I like the best. Maybe you have a preference of color? Maybe there are choices of rose comb or straight comb?
What options avaliabe for rehoming are you considering? Sometimes it's easier to rehome them when they are young.
Yes I still am not even for sure on which are cockerels or not. I know I’ve had one trying to crow just need to catch who it is so I know. I have a “favorite” already as far as looks and I’m pretty sure that one is a boy. There’s another I’m 99% sure is a boy and he is already showing signs of aggression towards me in the manner of pecking when I go to pick him up. Not sure if that will escalate or not. They were all raised by a broody with the flock so I’m hoping that may make for a little bit calmer, more adjusted Roos (which I’ve heard) but who knows. I really don’t have a plan yet for rehoming. I dread it honestly but I may just post pics on social media and hope someone will take them. I don’t have any idea how to process one or I would just put the extras in my freezer once they get to good eating age.

I also raise chicks every year from broodys. Average is half will be boys. My chickens are barnyard mix, maybe purebreds would rehome faster. I dont know..
This year I also have some eggs I bought from someone local and more eggs in an incubator in my basement.
I have to cull or rehome plenty of roosters every fall.
Sometimes I get takers and find a new flock for my boys. Most times not and they get processed. I refuse to feed extra cockrels who will never lay me an egg, and create alot of fighting, turmoil and unrest in the barnyard.
A peaceful farm with One good rooster is enough for me.
It's a choice you will have to deal with your way, for your self and situation.
By the way...I never handle, pickup or coddle my rooster. Only at night with a flashlight to trim spurs or health checks. I find the best behaved roosters are the ones who fear me. Saves alot of trouble later.
Familiarity breeds contempt!

Having a rooster or two completes the flock social order, and it's great. Picking the right ones is tricky, and don't be discouraged if the right one turns out to be not so terrific. it happens! Some picks are easy, and sometimes it's more difficult. And then someone may decide to turn into a jerk, that happens too.
I too don't try to make pets out of my cockerels, they need to stay out of my path. Rehoming can be very difficult, even with polite and beautiful birds. We find homes for some, eat some, and never rehome an aggressive bird.
Mary

Ya I have learned the broody raised chicks don’t like to be handled and the only reason I ever do is to move out of the nest boxes at night where they’ve recently decided they want to sleep. I definitely won’t try to make a pet of any. Y’all have given me hope that I can have a good one! Hopefully I can keep them long enough to get a good idea, but I know they could turn later on so I’ll just have to go with my gut and hope it works out. Ours are barnyard mixes too, no specific breed so I doubt I have much luck actually rehoming. But if they end up just having to be culled that is what has to be done. Hopefully in that case I can find someone who can teach me how to process them. Thank you for all of your advice!

Don't pick one, and let all the others go, work your way into it. For me, generally there are some you just don't like for what ever reason, they go first. Then wait a couple of weeks, what is left should naturally kind of sort into, don't wants, maybes, and very possibles. The don't wants go, and half of the maybes. Then wait a couple more weeks, by then, one rooster should be standing out.

It is important to thin the boys, as roosters change as competition changes.
Mrs K

Don't pick one, and let all the others go, work your way into it. For me, generally there are some you just don't like for what ever reason, they go first. Then wait a couple of weeks, what is left should naturally kind of sort into, don't wants, maybes, and very possibles. The don't wants go, and half of the maybes. Then wait a couple more weeks, by then, one rooster should be standing out.

It is important to thin the boys, as roosters change as competition changes.
Mrs K
That’s a great idea. There is one we already are thinking will have to go. I’m just trying to wait until I know for sure they are cockerels. I’m thinking it’s 4-5 so at least it isn’t a bunch to sort through. Thank you for the advice Mrs K! :)

Back
Top Bottom