Multiple coop & pen system for separate flocks?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mrs. Mucket, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    We're planning a setup with several different coops/runs for separate small breeding flocks and brooding/growout pens. We're imagining something like a small version of a horse barn with multiple stalls and runs. Does anyone have something like that for chickens? I'd love to see pictures. Thanks [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Mrs. Mucket :

We're planning a setup with several different coops/runs for separate small breeding flocks and brooding/growout pens. We're imagining something like a small version of a horse barn with multiple stalls and runs. Does anyone have something like that for chickens? I'd love to see pictures. Thanks [​IMG]

havent built it yet but I have the materials.

top view for layout The squares in each pen are nest boxes accessible from the hall. There are two pens without nest boxes. One will be for bachelor roosters. And the big one will be for the guineas.

[​IMG]

angled view showing the hall and access to each pen all access to pens are from this hall making it easer to feed and clean.

[​IMG]

The whole thing fits within the space of a Pipe corral or 24 x 24 feet I am stuck on how to roof it though. Very long story. I am using dog kennel panels because I have no help construction is dependant on a 56 year old arthritic woman who cant climb a ladder... LOL.

There will be outside runs for each individual breed. but there is enough space in each pen for them to retreat when the weather is bad and here that means 110 degrees or 40 mile per hour winds.​

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    There is a fella on here who built one and posted his progress as he built. He did a really fine job on it. It is what I would have liked to have had if my husband could/would get past the 'they are just chickens' stage. I do have a duplex coop with two runs. A corner run with very small coop I plan to use with the first broody and a chicken tractor.

The thing is I am married to a carpenter....you would think I would get what I want....but noooooooooooooo....dang!

Go search in the coop and run section....was within the last year.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Not sure if this is what your referring to but here's my barn with coop's added.[​IMG] Here's another one thats not finished yet.[​IMG]

5. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks you guys, those are great ideas.

perchie.girl--yours is similar to my idea, with nest boxes accessible from an outside area. I'm a 58-YO arthritic woman and I don't do ladders either! (afraid of heights) Have you thought of metal roofing panels? Fairly easy to put up. We have them on our current coop, angled for snow load.

7L--That's a lot like I've imagined and it's nice to see it "for reals" in photos. Did you extend out from an existing barn?

bburn--I'll go back farther on my search of threads and look for that one.

6. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    Quote:That goes with the (true) line that a mechanic's wife drives a car that always needs work and a housekeeper's house is always a mess. [​IMG]

I've done all the building on my coop while my SO was at work or doing something in the house...no help from him!

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Our main coops are all in a barn, lots of pictures in the links in my sig. No runs right now though, as we pulled all the old fences and pens down so we can dig a couple of small ponds and level all the property around the barn. We just let each coop free-range on alternating days right now. Hopefully we'll be ready to start putting up the new runs in a few weeks.

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have several pens set up with chainlink panels, I just use netting on the top though. In the summer I use shade cloth as well, and I have some that have small "sheds" in them for sun/rain protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by