Multiple deaths in one night- no predators

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aim30, Mar 21, 2015.

1. aim30

aim30 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    I started with 10 chickens-red sex links. Yesterday I woke up to check on my flock and 4 chickens were dead on the coop floor. Almost looked like they fell off their roost and died. Then I found one alive (now dead) laying in the hay but breathing shallow. She died 2 hours later. The first four had been dead a few hours and did have small amounts of mucus/snot coming out of their nostrils, the last one did not. From what I saw, it did not look like predators. They looked healthy (besides the small amount of mucus) with all feathers intact, no blood, no struggle. I added some electrolytes to the remaining chickens water and so far, no more have died.

The crazy thing about this is, 3 months ago, I had 2 chickens do the same thing - AND the same night my neighbor had 2 chickens die the same way. My chickens have access to the outdoors to free range but my neighbors chickens are totally fenced in.

We called the fish and game dept. and they don't seem too concerned but it seems really odd to me, 50% of my flock dying in one night.

Does anyone have any idea of what could have caused this? Thanks!

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i would do some research on cocci and see if any of the symptoms match your birds. I've had birds be fine one day then dead the next, kinda similar. just a suggestion [​IMG] good luck! hope no more die.

3. aim30

aim30 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Hmm, I looked that up. Their poop looks the same as it always has. No blood in it.

Everything seemed normal, they were still eating/drinking. The only thing that was funny was the night before they were kind of spazzy. Like when you need to feed them and they follow you around until they get food, only they had food and water. Didn't think much of it at the time, I just thought they were being dumb chickens, lol.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    hmmm...i'm no exert, i'm stumped [​IMG]sorry i couldn't be more help :(

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Because you have had these deaths in first flock and replacement birds, and your neighbor has had the same, I would look at viral disease. Even though your neighbor's flock is caged, viruses are easily transfered. The transfer can be airborne, by having walked on each other's property or sharing gardening or chicken implements. The chance of the deaths being caused by non contagious disease like ascites or heart attack/failure seems unlikely with the volume of the deaths. A necropsy is very important for that reason. Here is an article that may help you get things figured out.
    http://www2.dupont.com/DAHS_EMEA/en_GB/news_events/article20081120a.html I hope you and your neighbor can get ahead of whatever is happening. Sorry for your losses. Ask any new questions you have. We are here for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by