1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Multiple eggs did her in.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pennyspeeps, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pennyspeeps

pennyspeeps New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I will start by saying we have not gotten any eggs yet from grandma who we adopted from a CL add. Today we didn't see Grandma running around and went to the coop to see if she was finally laying, much to our suprise she had layed fifteen eggs (presumeably all at once) and was dead in the laying box. We are new to this and all of our other chickens are too young to lay so our first laying was definately a wierd one. Any ideas as to what happened?

2. bigg

bigg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tullahoma, TN
    All i can say is WOW!!!!!! But sad

3. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    The eggs were various sizes, right?

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Wow thats really unusual. She must have been all backed up or you are pulling our legs [​IMG]

5. pennyspeeps

pennyspeeps New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Most of the eggs were the same size except one huge one that was the likely blockage. We just thought she was old and had stopped laying, we have only had her a couple of months. (Grandma was the golden girl)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I had a young hen that began laying about 2 months before her hatchmates. Lay a half dozen then die. It happens.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwww. poor baby. Although, I've never heard of that before?? So many eggs from one little bird. [​IMG]

8. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:That's remarkable! Anyone else heard of this???? Poor thing. [​IMG]

9. pennyspeeps

pennyspeeps New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    One more tidbit of information that may have everything to do with nothing, when she drank the water made a gargle sound as it went down.

10. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    Wow, very interesting. Thanks for sharing the photos. Poor old grandma!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by