Multiple Eggs?? What's Going On??

elbonmillfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
WV
I'm totally open to suggestions here. Very long explanation to follow.

I have a total of 17 birds of different ages. I have 7 Black Australorps (6 babies, one adult), 3 RIR, 3 Peafowl, 2 Pearl Guineas, 1 Barnevelder, and 1 Americauna.
Out of all these birds only 4 are laying yet. The Barnevelder, the old Australorp, the free range Peahen, and the Americuana.
I rarely find the Peahen eggs but the other three lay consistently in their coop. The three hens came from a friend because my babies aren't laying yet. We've only had them for about a month.
The Americauna laid an egg on our way home in the back of my car. I hadn't really been counting eggs cuz the Australorp went broody shortly after we got her home and was stealing everyone's eggs and I let her til I could get fertile eggs for her.
Now I've been counting daily and realized the Americauna is laying more than one egg a day. And twice now I've gotten a blue egg kinda covered in dry yolk mess with brown shell pieces perfectly fitted to the outside of the egg??
She is literally the only blue egg layer on our farm. I check the coop every time I go down there because we have crows, coons, and dogs that love the eggs, so I'm not just over looking them.
Yesterday I checked the coop at 8am and again at 4pm and there were 3 blue (one with brown shell and yolk) and 1 brown. I checked the eggs in my fridge too and despite having two brown layers and one blue layer, I have more blue eggs in the fridge. I know both the brown layers are laying brown cuz the barnevelder's are dark brown and the australorp's are light brown. What the heck is going on??

Yesterday's Eggs:

I'm totally open to suggestions here. Very long explanation to follow.

I have a total of 17 birds of different ages. I have 7 Black Australorps (6 babies, one adult), 3 RIR, 3 Peafowl, 2 Pearl Guineas, 1 Barnevelder, and 1 Americauna.
Out of all these birds only 4 are laying yet. The Barnevelder, the old Australorp, the free range Peahen, and the Americuana.
I rarely find the Peahen eggs but the other three lay consistently in their coop. The three hens came from a friend because my babies aren't laying yet. We've only had them for about a month.
The Americauna laid an egg on our way home in the back of my car. I hadn't really been counting eggs cuz the Australorp went broody shortly after we got her home and was stealing everyone's eggs and I let her til I could get fertile eggs for her.
Now I've been counting daily and realized the Americauna is laying more than one egg a day. And twice now I've gotten a blue egg kinda covered in dry yolk mess with brown shell pieces perfectly fitted to the outside of the egg??
She is literally the only blue egg layer on our farm. I check the coop every time I go down there because we have crows, coons, and dogs that love the eggs, so I'm not just over looking them.
Yesterday I checked the coop at 8am and again at 4pm and there were 3 blue (one with brown shell and yolk) and 1 brown. I checked the eggs in my fridge too and despite having two brown layers and one blue layer, I have more blue eggs in the fridge. I know both the brown layers are laying brown cuz the barnevelder's are dark brown and the australorp's are light brown. What the heck is going on??

Yesterday's Eggs:

Perhaps it is the lighting, but only one of the eggs pictures has even a remote appearance of a colored tint to it - do you have a picture that might show the coloring a little better?

This might help. Put them on a white background and beside a cream guinea egg I just bought for hatching and one of the white peacock eggs.

Can you post pictures of your flock - say any birds that are 16 weeks of age or older? It may be that someone has ben slightly misidentified.

Last edited:

This shows everybody old enough to lay although the reds haven't started yet and one is a roo :)
The next age down are just 12 wks and are kept in a pen away from the big birds.

Back
Top Bottom