Multiple injured quail . . . antibiotics?

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
It appears that predator issues have gotten worse around my aviary. I've been finding tracks in the morning and my dad has reported spotting a black cat. Either way, I'm seeing more injuries related to flushing/hitting the sides of the aviary. Most are minor but there are two that have it really bad. One of them has an injured wing that is green (and I literally mean green), has a nasty looking open wound, and smells like an infection. Surprisingly, he acts pretty normally but I am concerned because of the obvious infection. The other one broke his upper beak about halfway up and now it rests in a slanted position. I think that once it heals, he will have an OK time eating and doing quail things but for now its obviously painful . . .

Now for the questions . . .

What can I do about predators!? This is driving me crazy, every time I think they're gone they come back! The worst part is I'm pretty sure my issue is caused by pet cats that my neighbors let wander around . . .

My biggest question is for the quail with an infected, wounded wing. How would I treat it? Would an antibiotic be helpful? I haven't been able to find anything for poultry at local feed stores or the internet.

Don't let your birds suffer.
Can you post pictures of these two hurt ones mentioned?

image0 - Copy (2).jpeg
image2 - Copy (2).jpeg
image4.jpeg
image3 - Copy.jpeg

Attachments

• image1 - Copy (2).jpeg
    image1 - Copy (2).jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 1
Could the green be from bruising? I've been reading old posts about chickens having blue-green bruises.
Could be but that doesn't look like bruising! Looks more like the cat clawed it open or a bite taken out of it, and it is infected, wouldn't smell if just bruised.

Also, the bird with the infected wing acts like he doesn't feel it. He has just as much energy as the other uninjured quail. However, he acts like he can't feel his wing below a certain point.

Also, the bird with the infected wing acts like he doesn't feel it. He has just as much energy as the other uninjured quail. However, he acts like he can't feel his wing below a certain point.
Birds in general are very good at hiding pain or injuries...it's instinctual, if they act disabled, predators will attack...so they don't!

Ok, there's no coming back from it though? It's just that every bird I have culled so far has had some obvious symptoms.
I would think that a beak injury is milder than the wing injury. The bird with the beak injury is puffed up, lethargic, and droopy whereas the bird with the wing injury acts like I'm bringing mealworm treats or tries to escape when I open the door. It puts up a fight when I pick it up (my birds don't like to be handled), is curiously watching the environment, and paces the animal carrier it is temporarily inside.

Back
Top Bottom