Multiple person chick order- how to tell Roosters v. Pullets.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by off-grid hen, Mar 16, 2011.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Let me just say- I will never order this way AGAIN! [​IMG]

A bunch of people all combined a bunch of personal orders to make one large chick order. I didn't question this in the beginning, but now I have smartened up. Many of us are ordering pullets. well- one guy has an order of straight run chicks. I know that even with 5 birds of 3 different breeds (I got 15 birds total), I still have a chance of getting a rooster or 3. The straight run order is supposedly going to be banded, but we'll see. [​IMG]

The two breeds he is straight-running are columbian wyandottes and partridge rocks. ( Some of my birds are partidge rocks- another woman ordered columbian wyandottes)Can anyone help with minute details between the chicks or are we just at the mercy of the hatchery bands? [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated, the order is not here yet- but I'd like to do any homework before the chickies get here. [​IMG]

Edit: after looking around abit more, I can see that it's not going to be easy. I had remembered seeing a few posts like "the roos have a little spot on their heads, or different markings on beaks, but nevermind. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I think you're pretty much at the mercy of the hatchery. I wish you the best of luck.

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

You are mainly going to be at the mercy of the hatchery... Yes when I ordered with friends and neighbors before I requested they use a 100 chick box (we had 4 different orders and 70 odd chicks total - pullets and straight run orders) and seperate the orders with the 4 point dividers (Mt. Healthy) they did as I wanted them to, so we knew whos was who.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by