1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Multiple Pygmy/Nigerian Dwarf goat questions!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sparkles2307, Oct 23, 2008.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

OK, long story. we bought two Nigerian wethers in July. I am assuming that they were only a few weeks old, because they were just barely old enough to leave thier mothers, but the lady I bought them from really didnt get very clear with me as to exact ages. She banded them herself right there before we took them, and didnt do a very good job! One of them is completely smooth now that the sac fell of and all, but the other one still has one testicle growing under the skin next to his belly, and has started growing a beard. This is a mixed blessing, since I recently procured two Pygmy does and had been regretting my hasty banding of my pretty boys. We are not sure however if he is in working order? I know my does are not yet a year in age, but are very close to it, and we havent had the buck/wether seperate from the girls because of the not knowing if he works or not. I just wanted to know if theres a way to tell if the girls are bred without going tot he vet....and if they ARE bred, if it will cause any problems since they are only about 10-11 months old? Oh and how wamr should i keep them this winter? we are in northern MN and they are housed in a converted granary with a raised floor and solid walls. Should I create some sort of bed and insulate the walls with straw bales or is it suffucuent to spread a good 12 inch layer of straw every week or so for them? I know I sound terribley uneducated and probably should have read up on the subject a bit more before diving in, but I couldnt pass up buying them when I had the chance!!! I appreciate any and all help!

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I don't know the answers to your questions, but wanted to say...... We like pictures. Do you have some?

3. sparkles2307

Hehe yes I have pictures. I will gladly put them up as soon as I figure it out....I kind of got on here in a hurry and didnt read the directions haha [​IMG]

4. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    I'm not exactly a goat expert, but a do have a couple pygmy goats. We waited until our goats were over a year to breed them since they are still growing. There isn't really any definite way to be sure if they are pregnant or not. Well except if they are in heat again next month. As they get farther along you will be able to tell better, being fat does not mean they are pregnant. Our goats are always fat. Just make sure you giving them the right feed in case they are pregnant. As for the housing question we put pine shaving down and straw. Ours also had a heat lamp and they had each other to keep warm. Maybe someone will get on here and be able to help you more. Sorry

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    we bought our goats from a lady that has been raising them for 3 years. she said both of ours could be possible pregnant. she said the only way to know for sure that they are pregnant is 3 months before they are due you can tell. you will see movement just like a human baby in a mommys tummy.

6. chels23

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    Yeah, I heard about the movement thing too. I didn't think that was very reliable though since sometimes it's their stomach. When I was doing research for my goats I though this website was helpful http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm. I hope it helps!

7. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    We raise pygmies also. If your girls have been in the same pen with a billy then they are pregnant!! If the billy in your case is questionable then check to see if he still messes with her in about a month. A buck will only mess with a female if she is in heat or getting ready to give birth normally. They are preg. for 153 days and I myself can only tell about 6-8 weeks before they give birth just by looking at them. Its tricky though because all of mine have big fat bellies!! I hope I helped a little bit [​IMG]

8. sparkles2307

thanks for the link i will check it out for sure.

Still trying to upload pics, the work PC is a pig and not letting me access my pics!

the problem with our buck is that we dont know if he actually works becuase he WAS banded, he just still has one teste... I knwo my hubby saw him nosing around our lead doe a couple of weeks ago but it was only one day...

I should have read more before doing this goat thing!!! [​IMG] But they are SO cute I couldnt let them go!

9. chels23

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
  10. sparkles2307

i did go to the website and love it! thanks so much! one more thing to keep me "busy" at work...hooray for the internet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by