Multiple questions about egg laying/nest boxes ect

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 7, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Hi all, Ive enjoyed all the info I have gotton from this forum, but now I have moe questions,lol. We have 10 hens, 2 roosters and 2 ducks, breeds include RIR, Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps, the ducks ?. Right now they are about 14/15 weeks old. Both of the roos are starting to get thier voices and 1 of them is already trying to become more than friends,lol. He was trying to buddy up with the female duck this morning, he wasn't received well.

For our coop area, we sectioned off a part in the back of our garage, and built a ramp and a little door going out into a run on the south side of the garage. In the coop area there was a set of cupboards(floor level) they actually work great, they can sit on the "counter" and look out the window and we are going to turn the space below into nest boxes. We have already taken the doors off and they do go check it out in there.

Now all my questions,

1) Do I need to keep an eye on the 1 roo or once all the girls are more friendly will he chill out a little?

3) How big do the nest boxes need to be?

4) How many nest boxes do we need?

5) Should we build the nest boxes and then keep them out for a few more weeks?

6) Do the nest boxes need to be different for the duck?

7) Should the roo need to be rehomed, I have a friend that will probably trade him for a hen, will 1 hen introduce into our group ok or should I try for 2 hens so they have a buddy?

Im sure there are more questions but this is the important stuff for now,lol.

Thank you!

2. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I've heard that nest boxes only need to be one cubic foot but i say that the chicken should be a able to stand up turn around and walk out for them to be considered large enough.

I have also read that 3 or 4 hens will share one nesting box (not at the same time) but I think the more the marrier. Also when placing nesting boxes and making them, add variety that way every chicken is happy.

It is a good idea to introduce bird to nesting boxes before they begin to lay so they know what they are for as long as they are not sleeping in them.

2 roosters for 10 hens is too much. Bring the ratio down to 1/10

If you want to trade the rooster it will take a little work to integrate the new hen into your flock but it can be down. Just keep in a seperate cage so that the chickens can see eachother for a few weeks. They'll then be use to eachother.

That's all the info i got

3. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks so much. Both Roos were accidents,lol. The Buff Roo was supposed to be a pullet and the other one my daughter picked out from the hatch we did at school for the kindergarden class, trust her to pick a roo! We will be finishing the nest boxes tonite so they have time to be used to them before they actually need them. Does anyone know what size a nest box should be for ducks? And should it be kept a bit away from the chickens, or does it matter?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by