multiple roos in a flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by raymondjames, Feb 4, 2012.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Hello. recently (december) i recieved a large order of chicks and have 23 right now. it seems we have a deal of roos, even in the pullet batch [​IMG] and we have two confirmed roos but we don't want to give too many away as our coop is a big size and the money would be a waste if a (ex) 100 capacity coop only held 10 birds. Anyways, can i safely and easily keep two roos and have them not kill each other (or fight all together). Also we may enter breeding shows eventually, and more roos means we can have some breeding going on with purebreds (one of the roos is hybrid, other is a beautiful leghorn).

Thanks!

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    The roos will fight a bit growing up until the pecking order is established, but they should not kill each other. The most trouble i ever get is a few feathers are pulled, but no killing. If you spot an over aggressive roo, you should then cull the roo.
    Also, hybrid birds do not breed true, so you can cull the hybrid roos first.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. Fly Fisher

Fly Fisher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I keep a lot of roos and find that brood mates rarely fight. As long as you never separate them they should get along fine. Problems arise when introducing new roos or when returning a roo from a breeding pen.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have several roosters as well and they establish a kind of pecking order like then hens do. I have a beautiful gold-laced polish roo who has recently decided to flog/attack my leg every day when I go out to feed or otherwise interact with them. The head roo (barred rock) will often come over and run him off from me by doing his dominant dance. I'm not scared of that demon roo, but it freaking hurts! I just turn to face him and walk toward him until he turns away. I love having multiple roosters. They are beautiful.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    It also depends on the breed... some are more docile/ flexible than others.

I have roughly 4 Roos in my EE pen, 7 in my Ameraucana pen, 1 in with the babies, and another 10 out back and everyone gets along hunky dory! As long as they grow up together or are introduced fairly young I have no problems. [​IMG]

6. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    YOU ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH SAYING, IF THEY ARE INTRODUCED EARLY, IT WON'T BE MUCH OF A PROBLEM.
    HOW EARLY ARE YOU TALKING?
    I HAVE A 21 WEEK OLD LIGHT SUSSEX AND A 15 WEEK OLD BLUE COPPER MARANS, THEY HAVE BEEN SEPERATED BY FENCING FOR THE LAST 10 WEEKS, BUT SEE EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME.
    ARE THESE 2 GOING TO BE OK BEING PUT TOGETHER? OR IS THE SUSSEX TOO OLD TO BE INTRODUCED TO ANOTHER ROO?

7. Fly Fisher

Fly Fisher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Marlene,

Early to me means that they were in the brooder together. Usually no problems in this instance as long as you do not separate them.

In your instance 15 and 21 weeks you will most likely have them square off and take a few shots at each other. If they are similar in size this should not be a problem.

I however try not to mix different breed Roos together as I am selective in how my birds breed.

fly

8. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK

Thank you for yoyr reply.
    I am new to keeping roo's. I will give them a chance together, but if they fight i will be keeping just one.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I also have multiple roosters and have much the same experience, except that the Silver Sebright who goes after visitors does NOT go after me. He has, in the past, but I just walk him backwards the same way as does nurse turtle. Cockerels growing up in the flock, even amongst the full grown roosters, find their place in the pecking order with nothing more than display challenges, maybe some jumping at each other and occasionally some pecking. Just feather loss and the challenges are over pretty quickly. There was ONE cockerel which had to be culled because he was rooster-agressive AND he constantly chased down and raped pullets, causing injury and even killing a few. He met his end after a third pullet died from one of his savage mountings. (They either suffered internal injury or broken necks.) A shovel ended his life. But that was the only situation and it was because HE was mean, not because here were too many roosters.

Two rooster flocks are usually very stable, as one becomes dominant and the other becomes his assistant in keeping peace in the flock and providing additional "look out" for danger.

10. snapper

snapper New Egg

Sep 6, 2015
    Ref multi Roo/Cockerel flocks, we started off with 6 Silky hens (3 white, 3 black) that had just reached point of lay and 6 eggs. They came from a free ranging flock and the 'home' Cockerel said goodbye to the hens as we were choosing them.

The hens went into the coup and the eggs went in the nest boxes in the hope one of the hens would go all broody and sit. Didn't happen. Some new eggs were laid but there was no interest to sit, we left it for a couple of weeks while a brooder and all the bits was winding it's way to us via amazon and then transferred the lot and waited......

Out of all the eggs that went in (10 IIRC) we hatched two, one sadly didn't make it but the other one did and turned into a proud White Cockerel (called Chirpy by SWMBO, I wanted to go with Paxo but was out voted). Considering our only previous experience with chickens involved either a recipe or products from a famous southern US Colonel who's name appears all over the country here in the UK we were complete novices with the chicken, live, clucking.. variety and I thought we had done pretty well so far. Flock now stands at 1 white Silky Cockerel, 3 white silky hens and three black silky hens.

12 months down the line, we have introduced the Roo to the flock at about the 21 week point and he settled in well, after about 3 months we then allowed the hens to keep the eggs for a couple of weeks and sorted them under a couple of hens that were sitting nicely and to hatch them. We ended up with 9 out of 12 eggs hatching into chicks, these were all left in the run with the flock for the hens to bring up and they all survived. Once old enough to sex it became obvious we had 4 Silky Cockerels and 5 Silky Hens all white. So the flock is now standing at 5 Cockerels and 11 Hens.

All the new arrivals have now matured, with egg production having gone up from 1 or 2 a day to a steady 6 or 7 a day it's obvious the hens have started to lay (egg production fell right of the scale while the chicks were in with the flock and growing up) and the Cockerels are all crowing :( some better than others lol. Between the Cockerels all seems to be at peace, the original and eldest is the boss, the next eldest (by a week) is 2i/c while the remaining three are all like stroppy teenagers but more about that later. The Hens have settled into the flock very well, no problems between them at all.

Issue.

Of the original hens, one of the Black ones (Bertha) was the dominant hen and led the flock before the Cockerel was introduced, she also kept her 'rank' as Chirpy grew up until he took over as boss and she then became 2i/c of the flock and head hen so to speak. The three younger Cockerels are bullying her to the extreme, so much so that she has retreated to the coup and doesn't come out as she gets jumped on by three junior Cockerels as soon as they spot her. Its getting to the point that we are now feeding her in the coup.

Question.

Is this behaviour likely to continue or will they (the junior Cockerels) fall into line and behave. Or am I either re-homing them or getting the recipe book out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by