Multiple Roos on one hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by denco5, Feb 11, 2011.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I have four roosters that are just now starting to do the deed with the hens. When one roo begins the other all come over and seem to attack the hen. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong?

I do have three of the roosters for sale so I hope they sell quick, I do not care for the constant chasing and attacking of my hens. I hope when I get down to maybe two or even one roo it calms down some.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Can you set up a temporary bachelor pen so the extra boys can be separated until they leave?

3. denco5

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Yes I will have to do this if they do not sell quickly.

Is this activity normal or are they picking on one hen because they don't like her?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is the quickest way of ending up with injured hens. It's gang breeding and in the process a hen's neck can be ripped, her sides can be gashed, and if they are considerably larger back,leg, or pelvic problems may be encountered. Common sense dictates that you limit this behavior.

5. denco5

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Alright I am down to one rooster from five. The coop and run is calmer already. Will the lone rooster and hens adjust quickly? What if anything should I be looking for as a pattern change? I know the hens will be happy they do not have so many boys chasing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by