Multiple Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ahmadeido, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ahmadeido

ahmadeido Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    hi, I will have a 8 to 10 hen and a Maran rooster about 6 months old, I want to add a Bantam rooster to the flock, am I able to do so or will they fight ?! I have all standard size hens, no bantam hens or pullets.

2. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

How much space do you have for all the birds together? That will have a lot to do with it. Also, what breed of Bantam are you thinking about? Your Maran roo will probably challenge the new roo whether it is Bantam or not and a Bantam would probably have little chance against the Maran no matter the breed. However, if you have plenty of room so the Bantam can run away and hide it might work.

I have two roo's...one Blue Andalusian and one Dominique. In addition there are 22 hens and they have a large coop, two large runs and get to free range during the day. My poor little Dominique roo has just been beat up by the Andalusian. He knows his place now but he had to go through hell to get there.

3. ahmadeido

Aug 30, 2014
    My cook is 6'x6'x6' and the run is 16' x 6' , they will free range in a 12 acres property. not sure of what breed roo im getting yet.

4. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    One moment... Our experience is that the 1 3/4 lb bantam beat the tar and feathers out of the 1 YO 8 lb Marans who had escaped from his pen.

The Marans a nice, mellow fellow with a marshmallow personality. The bantam is tiny, but he runs rings around the Marans. The Marans was so defeated afterward, that he whimpered when he was put back into his area. He is a lover, not a fighter...

[​IMG]

Realistically, you have to really assess the personalities of the birds involved. Just because one is tiny, don't assume they can't be dominate.

This bantam is the ringleader of a free range flock of 66 RIR (4 RIR roos right now- we had 15 at one point), and a Partridge Cochin roo. They are all adults now, but they still obey the acknowledged King of their universe. lol He is the oldest bird (and human docile). He raised them and taught them how to act in a flock, like a hen. He is very fair, but he also controls them to a point.

One other thing... Marans can be super docile, like the fellow above, or some lines can even be aggressive or something in between, like a broody rooster. (Very family oriented, but extremely protective of females. These males should be separated as they will fight for females.) If you have a docile male, and the bantam is docile, you might try it carefully, and under close supervision. If one acts dominate but not aggressive, it may still be okay. If one shows aggression, it may be difficult to get past.

How we got most of our males to get along so well is that they were raised together, and added to the older docile male.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The thing is, roosters raised together can work it out, but it is not guaranteed. Some do, some fight bloody.

A mature rooster with chicks in his flock, can dominate the younger growing up rooster early. Often times this pair will live fairly well together, but sometimes the younger one will challenge the older one, if he wins, the dominant gives way. If the dominant wins, the challenge may be left for ANOTHER AND ANOTHER AND ANOTHER day. Gives quite a bit of tension in the flock.

IMHO the worst pairing to attempt, is to introduce a strange rooster to an established flock with a rooster. The incoming rooster is a stranger, if it is a single bird introduction, and if it is smaller than the established rooster....... that sounds to me as a recipe for disaster.

I think the big thing in One Chick Two's post, is that the bantam rooster was the ESTABLISHED rooster with a flock, not the incoming stranger rooster to the flock.

so no, I don't think it will work. Why would you want a bantam rooster in a flock of full size birds? just curious.

Mrs K

6. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Mrs. K raises some points to consider.

In our case, all 15 of the RIR raised under the bantam got along well and were human friendly- but that does not always happen as chickens demeanors can differ from flock to flock. The bantam was a wild, unsocialized full adult when first purchased, and was brought to our 4 month old pullets. A few months later, 50 straight run chicks were added to them when they were old enough, and he was wonderful with them.

All depends on each animal's temperament and demeanor. The bantam still dominates, but, is often seen heading out a group somewhere with some RIR hens, OEGB hens, usually along with another RIR rooster.

With our Marans, we try to keep males together who seem to hang around each other a lot as cockerels, they most often do well together in smaller breeding groups.

7. ahmadeido

Aug 30, 2014
    you guys raise good points, I just wanted a bantam rooster to be honest is because they are cute, but like most of you think, it will be stressful situation for my flock and my flock's health and well being comes first, so no bantam for me :)

8. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    i was gonna add a full size rooster with bantam hens :T

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They are cute, but you are making a wise choice in not adding one to your flock at this time. [​IMG]

10. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I know exactly what you mean. I have been thinking about putting together a completely separate flock of Serama Bantams I just am having trouble with the concept and cost of putting together a flock just for looks and because they are cute. Unless, of course, I go the breeding route which would involve getting some broody silkie bantams as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by