Multiple Silkie roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FluffyFlockLove, Nov 28, 2016.

1. FluffyFlockLove

FluffyFlockLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    I know the general rule of thumb is 4 hens per rooster. Because Silkies are a calmer breed is it different for the them? Forexample could I keep two roosters for every 4 hens?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    "Calm" isn't the same as "tolerant" when it comes to cockbird behavior, either with each other, or overmating the hens. It's also very dependent on individual temperments, space available, and luck. At least, a lot more hens, and lots of space and food and water stations. Cockerels raised together, or cockerels raised in the flock with the cockbird, are more likely to get along together. Still not a sure thing, but more likely. Years ago, I had two adorable bantam Cochin cockerels who wanted to kill each other, and had to move on separately before that happened. Sweet, gentle birds otherwise, but couldn't decide "who's on first" so impossible together. Mary

3. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I had 1 silky rooster with 5 hens and he still was on them all the time. You should have at leas 8 or 10 hens to 1 rooster. I ended up putting him in with my regular size hens and he still has no problem mating them only now he has 10 hens. I would not recommend 2 roosters for 4 hens.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Honestly, no one can answer that for you. Best we can say is.....try it and see how your particular birds do in your particular set up. Some flocks may be okay with it. Some may have disastrous results. Give it a try but have a rapid contingency plan in place to pull a male out if things tank on you.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^ goes for all breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by