Multiple treatments at same time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mike6530, Aug 29, 2016.

1. mike6530

mike6530 Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    I have begun a 5 day Corid treatment for all of my chickens. Some had started showing signs of illness. After talking to a friend of mine who also has chickens, he said he treats his chickens for cocci. So I thought that's probably something I should do. After closer examination of my chickens, it seems to be more of a respiratory illness. They are lethargic with watery eyes and nostrils, sneeze and labored gurgly breathing. So now I'd like to start a treatment for respiratory illness. My question is, can I do both of these treatments at the same time? I don't want to stop the Corid treatment if at all possible. And what is a good treatment for respiratory illness?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

You can give Corid with other drugs as long as you give the other drugs orally or by injection. Probably not wise to mix more than one drug in their waterer.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @mike6530 , The drug I would use for a respiratory problem is Baytril, but it's banned for use in poultry, so that's something to consider.

-Kathy

4. mike6530

mike6530 Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    Thank you Kathy! Is Baytril something you can get from a store or only through a vet? And what dosage do you use per bird? My birds are 5 months old.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You can buy it online without a prescription, or you can make an appointment with a vet, which is what you should do if you can afford it. Dose is based on weight, so you would have to buy a kitchen scale and with each one.

Another drug you could try is Tylan 50 which is an injectable that some people give orally, but it only treats certain types of bacteria.

Taking you sickest one to a vet my end up cheaper than buying a bunch of drugs that may or may not work. Make sense?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by