1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Multiple Yolk Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FeatherMtnFarms, Feb 2, 2016.

1. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    I there any reason that chickens will lay these eggs? So far we have gotten 1 double yolker and 1 triple yolker from our Amerucana, and 1 double yolker from our pullet who just started laying (don't know what breed). It is not worrying me, quite cool actually,[​IMG] but I was wondering why?[​IMG]

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Many times when they first start laying this happens. Odd shapes, double/triple yolks, teeny tiny eggs...even an egg inside an egg! They will regulate soon. I think the egg inside an egg phenomenon is really cool!

3. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Cool! Yes, I agree, the mystery girl who has been laying us these brown eggs has only just started laying we were just so surprised to see one so soon! Our Amerucana who laid us the double and triple yolked eggs had been laying for a few weeks before she laid these. The egg inside of an egg would be really cool!

4. Bridebeliever

5. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Thank you for the link!

6. Bridebeliever

You're welcome! It's so fun getting those first eggs!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Multiple yolked egg are very common with new layers for the first month or so.

8. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Yes, so excited![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by