Multitude of sexing questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by guitari609, Aug 20, 2008.

1. guitari609

guitari609 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Taylors, SC
    Ok, I tried to find the answers to all of my questions under other posts, but was going crazy trying to search through everything. Hope nobody minds reposting questions that have probably been answered before.

I have 4 chickens: 2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 SLW.

The 2 RIRs are the oldest by probably a week, and are just over two monthes old. I am pretty sure they are both pullets, and you can see them in the picture i am going to TRY and post below. The question is, one of them has tiny bumps where spurs would be, the other doesnt, other than that, I cant tell the two apart, and neither of them acts different from the other, although they are both much more friendly and bold than the other two chickens. Is it normal for hens/pullets to have just bumps there sometimes and sometimes not, or what?

[​IMG]

The Barred Rock, also in the pictures, is almost certainly a cockerel, he has a pretty good size comb at about 2 monthes old, and he and the SLW often play fight alot, which is kind of funny, but they rarely do so with the two RIRs. I was kind of thinking that if he is younger than the RIRS, and already has a way bigger comb, surely he is a cockerel, and the other two are pullets.(thank God.)

The SLW, I have (hopefully) included a picture. It has wattles and the flat comb. I hope this is a hen, but I am doubting it. Opinions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Lot's of my hens have little spurs, I'm pretty sure it's normal. I think you're right about the RIRs and the barred rock with the sexes.

Does the SLW have spurs? Sometimes the boys just have small combs. Deprived of their manhood [​IMG]

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:Yes, it's normal. The barred rock is most certaintly male. The barring is a sex-linked trait and he has more white than black.

As far as comb size VS age, you can't really compare between different breeds. Your best bet at sexing at this age is to concentrate on the neck feathers. Pointed indicate probable roo. Rounded indicate probable hen. (Also you might catch a few crows)

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would say the BR and the SLW are both cockerals and the RIRs might be. I would wait a few more weeks to see if the comb and wattles on the RIRs get a lot bigger, but this is my RIR at about 12wks:
    [​IMG]

As far as bumps where spurs could grow, all chickens have them, boy or not. Usually boys just keep growing them and girls don't (though some girls do grow spurs).

5. guitari609

guitari609 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Taylors, SC
    As far as bumps on the SLW, I don't remember for sure, I'll have to check again. Thanks for the input!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My understanding of spurs is that even the boys don't have more than a bump until after most other sex characteristics are apparent. So you should see saddle/hackle feathers and hear crowing before you would notice a big difference in spur size between hens and roos.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    These are pictures of my RIR's at exactly 3 months old. They are both females.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by