Multivitamins for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kschwartz, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I have a lot of chick starter left and I'm not gonna waste it so I'm going to cut the protein level by adding oats. But that will also be cutting vitamins, and I don't want to skip out on those. Are there any multivitamins for ducks? Or can I just buy a bottle of multivitamins and crush them up? Which vitamins should I include in their diet, and which are toxic?

Thanks,
    Katie.

2. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    As long as its not medicated chick starter. ( medicated chick starter kills ducks.)ducks don't need any added vitamins. but, can add the vitamin and electrolyte solution to water if you want. some people use pedialyte.
    Quote:

3. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:
    Not if it is medicated with Amprolium. My ducks have been on it since i have had them and they are perfectly healthy right now. My cousin had left over duck starter that was non medicated so I just mixed that in yesterday, but now I need to cut the protein (it is at 20%). So they don't need any added vitamins (other than niacin and calcium when they reach laying age)?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducklings need much more niacin than do chicks, according to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. From what I've seen on the forum, there is a wide range of sensitivity to low niacin.

I use a poultry vitamin/eletrolyte/probiotic mix regularly (once a week, twice a month, depending) as a general boost, and especially when they are stressed.

I bought mine through Meyer Hatchery. The local feed store also carries vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by