Mum and chick back with others.

Beryl

Songster
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Co. Kerry, originally from UK
My silkie cross hen hatched out a chick 4 weeks ago.
I am wondering the best plan to re introduce them back into the run and house where they will live.
The run is approx 20 feet x 20 feet with a house attached measuring 6feet x 6 feet.Currently in the run is 2 docile chickens and 2 ducks.
The mother used to live in here so knows the chickens well.
I realise that mum and chick will have to go together as I can not leave chick on its own.
The run that mother and baby are in is about 6 feet x 6 feet with a house attached.
Sorry for all the figures but want to give you an idea oF sizes.
Thanks for any advice.
51559_dscf2914.jpg

I'd probably be inclined to just put them back in and keep an eye out to see what happens. If it doesn't work, be prepared to screen off a bit of the big pen so they can all look at each other for a while before they get together.

If the mom is still protective toward the chick & she has a good flock rank, she may be able to keep the others from picking on him/her.

Good luck! A lot just depends on their personalities.

Thank You. At the moment mum and chick have the wire between them and the ones they are going in with. I deliberately put them next to each other so they can get used to it. Chick still sleeps under mums wing at night so was not sure if a bit too early yet ? What do you think ?

Back
Top Bottom